Thread: What ever happened to hackiis6.com?

What ever happened to hackiis6.com?

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows what ever happened with the hackiis6.com competition?

To summarize the contest, this is take from slashdot.org:

"Starting May 2nd and going until June 8th, the server located at http://www.hackiis6.com/ will welcome hackers to attack it. If you can deface the web site or capture the "hidden" document, you win an X-box! Read contest rules for what does and doesn't constitute a successful hack. We've tried to be as realistic as possible in what constitutes a successful hack, and in mimicking a basic HTML and ASP.NET web site."

According to Greg Hughes website, on June 9th, the "Winner (or lack of winner) announced at TechEd in Orlando".

I have googled the heck out of any related terms, but there seems to be no news since about mid-may... I can't even find anything in any of the teched reports or the msdn teched bloggers...

Anyways, if anyone knows I would be very interested =).

Thanks!

Inferno.

hehe, somebody hacked it probably and just covered their tracks very well.
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

hmm, nothing, Who would be dumb enough to give up a IIs6 0day (worth 10s of thousands of dollars) for an xbox.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

Looks like the usual FUD/SCAM to me?

Hell I would not even get out of bed to BUY an xbox now, a zero day IIS6 exploit..............I could make money out of?

If no-one did it, they would be bragging about it...........so I would assume that it is either a total scam/marketing exercise..............or someone DID and they (Microsoft) are wetting themselves.

I hope the jerk had the brains to hold out for more than a scabby xbox

I believe they re-named the exercise "Find the next iis60 developer"

I agree, if it was legit and no one busted it, they would be pumping dough into advertising that, but perhaps they feel if they brag about it, they will get smoked by someone who really could smack the server.
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

Wow I didn't know 0day exploits were worth $$, I just figured the first one to find one has the glory of getting their advisory published somewhere like securityfocus.

Oh well, you learn something new every day =).

Inferno.