Hacker Posts Crack for Google Software

Thread: Hacker Posts Crack for Google Software

The Norwegian who became a hacker hero for developing software to unlock copy-protection codes on DVD movies said he needed only one day to crack Google Inc.'s new video viewer.

Jon Lech Johansen, also known as DVD Jon, posted software on his "So Sue Me" Web site that he says modifies the viewer so that it plays videos hosted on any server. The company's Google Video Viewer, in turn, was modified from the free VLC media player to restrict it to playing video hosted on Google's own servers.

Johansen's modification wasn't difficult as Google already had posted its code on its Web site. And the change won't let users break any video encryption; it only lets them view non-Google content.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=893403

Banned
    That's nice and all, but why don't you post your thoughts and comments on the news instead of just posting news here so people post here in response to an article on another site which usually allows you to post your reply there. Anyway, it seems ok, but I wouldn't use that anyway so the only useful tool (for most people I think) would crack the video encryption so you could watch it on WMP, etc...

Originally posted here by sb_
    That's nice and all, but why don't you post your thoughts and comments on the news instead of just posting news here so people post here in response to an article on another site which usually allows you to post your reply there.
    What was that about?!

Being that the only secret part about this encryption/decryption is the algorithm, it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to break.

That's nice and all, but why don't you post your thoughts and comments on the news instead of just posting news here so people post here in response to an article on another site which usually allows you to post your reply there.
    Because he doesn't have to? Anyways...

Google already had posted its code on its Web site. And the change won't let users break any video encryption; it only lets them view non-Google content.
    Well that must be something of a relief and that means that posting the information didn't do as much damage as previously thought.
    Space For Rent.. =]

sb_, when I see a news item I think the community here would appreciate, I post it here in this forum. I'll jump into the conversation when I have a chance, no doubt.

I do appreciate the news info, but please make it clear in the subject line, i.e:

~~NEWS~~ *subject line*

I guess the fact that its posted in the "security new" forum isn't enough?

spheraice,

are you joking? look what forum its in...wtf were you expecting, him to post the crack here?

anyone else find it funny how two of the new mebers here are trying to tell one of the PAID ADMINS of the site how to post? well maybe just incredibly stupid as opposed to funny. thanks for the link intmon.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

intmon thanks for taking the time to post this. i hadn't heard about it before.

looks like his last run-in made him a publicity junkie.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”