Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FIDO Security Question from newbie

FIDO Security Question from newbie

Hi, I just registered with this forum because I'm pretty desperate to find out some information.

I have a FIDO cell phone...the company just phone me and said that they had been talking to me 5 minutes ago...I informed them that they definitely weren't talking to me as I had been out of the office. The guy at FIDO replied that that was weird. That's when I started getting nervous.

Apparently, this woman gave my name, my cell phone number but didn't know my present postal code, she gave the wrong apartment number (and the FIDO guy gave her the right one! God! ) and when the FIDO guy asked for my social insurance number she hung up. We now have a password on my account. But what I want to know is, what could be the reason for someone doing this? Fraud? I'm pretty nervous. Oh, and the FIDO guy said that he didn't know what phone number she was calling from. I hope someone can help. Thanks.

One other question...how can I make my cell phone more secure?

Sounds like someone trying to collect information on you. You piss anybody off lately . It would appear this person may know you in some way as she has your cell phone number. You likely just don't give that out to everyone. Did the FIDO guy give you any other info? (e.g. why did she call in the first place.)

Cheers:
    DjM

I definitely don't give out my cell phone number and no, I don't think I've pissed anyone off (lately) That's all the info the FIDO guy gave me...I would have thought that he could have tried harder to get more info - or at least where she was calling from. Thanks for your info DjM...although I'm still pretty nervous - why would someone want to collect info on me???

Somewhere on this board is thread about identity theft, so be alert about any suspicious activity on any of your accounts like credit card, mobile bill and others and report to concerned authorities if you suspect something. They are better equiped to save you apart from all usual precautions recommended by service providers.

To make you cell phone more secure, well, there is hard n fast rules, but you can disable any useless service like bluetooth (until required), any advert service messages etc.
    It\'s all about sense of power.

why would someone want to collect info on me???
    Many answers to that question. Could be an attempt at identity theft, could be she has some sort of grudge against you or maybe she has a crush on you.

If it's not to much trouble, you may want to think about changing your cell phone number and watch your Credit Card statements closely.

Cheers:
    DjM

Thanks for the tips you guys! Awesome! I'm looking into everything now and calling my bank, credit card company, etc.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    the company just phone me and said that they had been talking to me 5 minutes ago...
    You're SURE it was the phone company ??
    It could all be a scam regarding the woman who 'they' spoke to .............
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Originally posted here by foxyloxley
    You're SURE it was the phone company ??
    It could all be a scam regarding the woman who 'they' spoke to .............
    Definitely...I called back and confirmed and everything is on the up-and-up. What they're going to do is go over the tape (yes, it is recorded)...if need be, they'll let me listen to the voice - I really really hope I don't recognize it.

Hi Sheryl, and welcome to AO.

Apparently, this woman gave my name, my cell phone number but didn't know my present postal code, she gave the wrong apartment number (and the FIDO guy gave her the right one! God! ) and when the FIDO guy asked for my social insurance number she hung up
    The first question you should ask FIDO is who originated the call..............her or them? If it was her you may have a problem depending on what she was trying to do.

If it was them, then they have a problem, as they obviously connected to the wrong phone. I guess your name is not unique in your area? I gues if someone pretending to be my cellphone company rang and didn't know my appartment number and postcode, then asked for my social security number, I would hang up as well.

It could be they have gotten their records screwed up? If they are driven by name and 'phone number and they are identical, there is a very good chance that a search will only display the first record? which is obviously yours.

Now, just because a system does not allow a person to enter a duplicate record does not mean that they cannot happen due to data corruption.

It might be worth asking them?

Thanks for the welcome, nihil....and all the info. I never even thought of the phone call originiating with FIDO and I'll definitely ask them to check their system for duplication. Thanks again.