Big "G" or Little "g"?????
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big "G" or Little "g"?????

Big "G" or Little "g"?????

So what do you guys think about this one?

A California college student who used the G-word in a term paper against the wishes of her professor was given a failing grade on the project, reports the Victor Valley Daily Press.

Student Bethany Hauf was told she could write about the impact of Christianity on America’s development by English instructor Michael Shefchik, but she could not use any “big 'G' gods, i.e., one, true god” arguments.

"He said it would offend others in class," Hauf, a 34-year-old mother of four, said. "I didn't realize God was taboo."

For ignoring the admonition and using the word ‘God’ 41 times, she was given a failing grade.
    Full Story: http://www.vvdailypress.com/2005/111996392756993.html
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

Hah, that has to be the funniest thing I've ever read. Particularly this part:

"I don't loose my First Amendment rights when I walk into that college," Hauf said. She is demanding an apology from the teacher and that the paper be re-graded.
    The first amendment says you can legally say anything you want. She isn't in legal trouble. NOWHERE in that amendment does it say you can't lose points on a writing assignment in a college where the professor has told you straight out not to do something.

This is another case of someone trying to get their way in spite of the person in charge laying out the ground rules.

That would be like saying that airlines can't restrict passengers from bringing guns on the planes cause the 2nd amendment says you can have a gun. I don't lose that right just cause I take off in a plane. People need to grow up and follow the rules that are given to them. If she didn't like that rule she should have went to the dean or something BEFORE turning it in. Prior approval always wins.

The bottom line is that you would be a fool to spend your
    hard-earned money to attend a college in America today.
    They are too far gone. You will learn more by standing on
    a street corner selling bags of crack cocaine.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Banned
    Teacher said "don't do it", student did it, student fails. End of story

This is another case of someone trying to get their way in spite of the person in charge laying out the ground rules.
    Worship president Bush do you.......................he is in charge?

Bow down to the petty dictators in local government? or educational establishments?

It is quite patently impossible to write about the influence of ANY religion on anything without reference to its God or gods. After all that is what religions are all about.

I would personally fire the college staff, they wouldn't even get a kindergarten teacher's job over here.

They had three eminently more sensible choices:

1. Don't accept the topic
    2. Mark the paper in private
    3. Show anyone who is "offended" where the exit is (if it were my country read "airport" for "exit")

I, for one, hope that she wins.

Banned
    From now on, I'm going to write all my English papers in Dutch. If the teacher fails me, I'll sue...

I think she got the best education the system has to offer. The lesson on following instructions. She failed to follow them, and failed the assignment.

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Originally posted here by Negative
    From now on, I'm going to write all my English papers in Dutch. If the teacher fails me, I'll sue...
    You know damn well that teacher was being a picky-ass liberal dick on purpose. He also said to the student that he was an athiest and people would be offended by the subject of the paper.

The paper should not be graded subjectively.

The student did what she knew was right....and correct . Blindly following a teacher's advice in the face of what you know is correct is an act of cowardice and weak-mindedness.

This has nothing to do with believing in God or not believing in God.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Banned
    No, it doesn't have anything to do with believing in god or not believing in god. It has to do with following directions. That student has every right to defend her actions, every right to argue that it's "God" and not "god", every right to write as much papers as she wants on the subject... she wasn't denied the right to turn in the paper, she wasn't denied to write the paper. She herself chose to get an F on that paper by not following the directions. But I guess you wouldn't see this story in the news (is this even news? Overduespy turns everything into "news") if she'd big up, take the F, shut up, get on with her education, graduate magna *** laude, and then start writing all the papers she wants...

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Originally posted here by Negative
    But I guess you wouldn't see this story in the news (is this even news? Overduespy turns everything into "news") if she'd big up, take the F, shut up, get on with her education, graduate magna *** laude, and then start writing all the papers she wants...
    Yes, it actually was "news". I heard it this morning on the way to work, Negative. It's just one more indication of the attempted stealthy infiltration of the left into the minds of students.

Big up, Negative...you know I love you.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery