Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Direct hit!

Direct hit!

a feat that has been discriber as hitting a bullet from a bullet with another bullet.

NASA's impactor successfully hits comet

A NASA space probe struck the comet Tempel 1 as planned early Monday, by which scientists hope to have a peek at the comet's heart to expand understanding of the formation of the solar system.

"We have received the first image sent back by the spacecraft that marks the success of the impact," Ellen Buif, a spokesman for NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) told Xinhua.

The image was received by the mission team at 22:58 PDT (0558 GMT Monday), which means the impact occurred at 22:52 (0552 GMT Monday) precisely as scheduled, Buif said.

http://english.people.com.cn/200507/...04_193966.html
    Were all impressed with this...right?...noooooooo!

Astrologer Sues NASA Over Comet Mission

MOSCOW (AP) - NASA's mission that sent a space probe smashing into a comet raised more than cosmic dust - it also brought a lawsuit from a Russian astrologer.

Marina Bai has sued the U.S. space agency, claiming the Deep Impact probe that punched a crater into the comet Tempel 1 late Sunday "ruins the natural balance of forces in the universe," the newspaper Izvestia reported Tuesday. A Moscow court has postponed hearings on the case until late July, the paper said.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050705/D8B5CI681.html
    WTF? a court (even if it is russian) is actually going to hear this?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I guess they don't realize that commets collide with many bodies. Including Jupiter (just recently in our lifetime) Bet that upset one hell of a smeging balance.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    She earlier told the paper that the experiment would "deform her horoscope".
    Her horoscope is not the only thing of hers that is deformed!

I'm not big on astrology, but shouldn't she have been able to "see this coming".

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

I would be more concerned about changing the orbit of a comet by this little collision, rather than what soothsayers might provide.

Connection refused, try again later.

maybe it's me but i find it rather comforting to know that we can hit one of these rascals with something the size of a good warhead.

your right MG... if it happened then wasn't it pre-ordained
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

haha tedob, I was thinking the exact same thing. I still think that was the point of the mission, to prove hat if needed we could nuke the hell out of one of these guys. This whole "for the good of man" crap thaey shovel in newspapers just sound so much bettr than "target practice"
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

WTF? a court (even if it is russian) is actually going to hear this?
    They are probably awaiting psychiatric reports?

if she wins this (I doubt she will, and really hope she doesnt) how many more law suits do you think will be filed?
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

f she wins this (I doubt she will, and really hope she doesnt) how many more law suits do you think will be filed?
    It really doesn't matter, NASA launches stuff under the laws of the USA.

It is just a cheap publicity stunt to draw attention to herself.................even if she did "win" what would she win....................she cannot prove any tangible losses or quantifiable compensation? Hey you cannot even prove that astrology is a science

I wouldn't worry about the orbit much. Heck comet Shoemaker Levy- 9 doesn't have an orbit anymore. Jupiter got in the way after billions of years (4 thousand to some). This little test could quite possible save Sol3 one day. Along with advancing astral navigation and inovation in space technology. Astrologists (let alone Astrnomers) don't have a clue how many comets are out there anyway. Or where they are heading, what their orbits are, how big they are etc. So those predictions are BUNK.

//EDIT I forgot... SL9 was discovered in March of 1993 and hit Jupiter SMACK on in July 1994. If that was Earth... we had a year before ELE possibility? Not necessarily MAN but many species. To make matters more interesting it was orbiting Jupiter and NOT the sun. Wonder what its impact on Astrology would be if known?

Note to ensure PC of the word MAN - insert human - oh damn that has the word man in it too - insert homosapien. Oh damn that has hate speech in it, as in rainbows - insert people.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.