Thread: Finding a Prog to Uncompress a file

Finding a Prog to Uncompress a file

Hi Guys,

Dont have much time for details just yet.

I have a file with in an accounting program that I have been asked to try to "access and modify" .. It is the Tax rate scale file..
    Problem it is a .LIM file, a view in a hew viewer has a text header:

0210190932...NLIH3Copyright 1998 Lernout&Hauspie.... then the hex has a 1k block or mor of FF before entering rest of the data..

I suspect that the file is not only compressed it is also encrypted

A search for LIM useing Google comes up with:
    LIM is the file extension for the Compressed archive associated with LIMIT.
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/...ary/files/LIM/

Currently reading the info here

http://www.brendan.com/Og_lim.htm to see if any is of help or use

So has any one seen this file type and or have ideas outside useing WinRAR, UUE decoders, ..I've tried..

thanks..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Hi Undies~

You might try this one, it is free. Don't know if it will work though.

Something in the back of my mind links .lim files with GZIP, but I don't know why. It might be the coder for .lim files?

Cheers

EDIT:

http://www.quickzip.org/quickzip/whatsnew450.php

thanks nihil, certainly better than winrar when it comes to the number of formats it recognises.. unfortunately .. LIM isnt one of them..

The link to w w w.brendan. c o m seems to give me the best clue.. the curious thing is the Lernout&Hauspie in the header block..

Still Google'ing.. pity now is i left the file inquestion at work.. so all I can do is hunt ideas..

Oh and hope that the info from the drongo at Intuit is correct..

===============

Dambed.. I am now kicking myself for not bringing that bloody file home..
    Just found an archiver called LIMIT ..it is old as the hills..written in 286 assembler
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Sorry Undies~ only just fallen out of my wanking chariot (you guys didn't know that I had a Chinese bed did you?)

It is the Tax rate scale file..
    As an alternative approach I would ring up the tax authorities and see what they advise? Hey, they must know the software, and perform "computer systems audits" (they mean applications but ack phtt!)

I have always found tax people most helpful if they think you are trying to comply.

If they don't know, and they call the software provider I am sure they will get an answer in minutes

It is not good policy either corporately or personally to p1$$ off the tax authorities, so you should get your information?

Good luck mate, and a good week end.

Banned
    Lernout & Hauspie was a Belgian speech recognition software company that went broke a couple of years ago thanks to messing with the books... you didn't stumble upon their secret book-keeping files, did you?

@neg: lol

The program in question is QuickBooks Pro Accountants edition.. The file I have been informed that carries the Wages (PAYG) Tax information is payroll.lim The fact it has the Lernout & Hauspie Copyright information had me arguing with both the Intuit drongo and the boss.. the logic misses me.. speech recognition/machine to voice codecs in an accounting software.. hmmm.. maybe that is why the software sux.. Intuit borrowed the formula from Lernout & Hauspie....

The Ball ended in my court after the Boss had discussions with both ATO and Intuit.. We have the tax scale (employee PAYG tax schedule) in a excel file.. converted to CVS.. and if we had the $4500 seat version no problem we can import all we please.. But being a 2 yr old lower featured version which can only be done by the publishers updates that no longer happen because it is 2 years old...

anyhow.. it is realy the boss's problem..

Hi Undies, L&H were into educational stuff before voice recognition. Dictionaries and text language translators. I have a couple of their titles around someplace. It was pretty good stuff as I recall, a lot more accurate than babelfish and the like. Nice slick interface as well.

maybe it has some sort of multilanguage capability?

Any chance of a copy of the file, I have quite a few ZIP type utilities so something might recognise it.

Support fails on a 2 year old product? that would probably be illegal over here

Cheers

Johnno

If it really is a .lim file then the attached should handle it. I am afraid it runs in DOS