Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upcoming pen test - ntpasswd solutions?

Tiger, one more thing....

on another note. To zero in on your comment about

what appeared to be yourself "misapplying" your responsibility in such a way that you _could_ do yourself harm
    I understand exactly what you mean, and perhaps you could be correct. I certainly cannot be help liable 'contractually' over such an issue. I am just trying to secure this clients network for him to the best of my ability. And on that note. Thanks for the point.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    No physical security ?

then physically remove CD ROMS and floppy drives ?
    Use remote logon only, server is the box only, no GUI, Kybd, mouse local at all
    Use KVM kit to allow logon from another position [anything that gives you a breathing space]
    Give machines similar names, and bunch them together.
    you hide a tree in a wood

anything that gives the 'intruder' something to pause over, whether it be a lack of logon facilities, no discernable ID to allow them to grab the 'good' stuff whatever.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

foxyloxley,

Good suggestions. Thank you. I'm not sure how viable this would be for this particular person, however, definately good suggestions to mention to him. I appreciate your reply.

on the lighter side:

Let me first say that I do know enough to be compotent in performing the assesment.
    Really?

Compotent: The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search box to the right.

assesment: The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search box to the right.

So you're undefined about performing something that doesn't exist?

~cheers~
    Connection refused, try again later.

Yeah, sorry. I do tend to mis-spell things when I am typing too fast. Not to mention (on a heavier note) I was burned in a house fire, and on my left hand only have the use of 1 finger and a thumb.

Originally posted here by Dr. Psy
    Yeah, sorry. I do tend to mis-spell things when I am typing too fast. Not to mention (on a heavier note) I was burned in a house fire, and on my left hand only have the use of 1 finger and a thumb.
    Geez Debby Downer....

He has no place to lock up his server. Granted, there is next to no possibility of anyone walking into his business, going into the backroom and doing something like this without him knowing about it, short of an employee who decided to do something like this. Nevertheless, I would like to secure his network for him as best as one can under the circumstances.
    This is one of the exact reasons why you would want to implement physical security. I would think a disgruntled employee would be more inept to do harm to a network than a random off the street. i know you also stated that he doesnt have any means to lockup the workstation.... Why not for ease of mind and CYA recommend he build/purchase a lockbox that has holes for cables to come out of that he can put a padlock on so that noone can get to the PC without the key. At least as some form of physical security.... This is if you don't take foxyloxley's recommendation and remove the devices or use another means...

just my 2cents
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Originally posted here by foxyloxley
    No physical security ?

then physically remove CD ROMS and floppy drives ?
    Use remote logon only, server is the box only, no GUI, Kybd, mouse local at all
    Use KVM kit to allow logon from another position [anything that gives you a breathing space]
    Give machines similar names, and bunch them together.
    you hide a tree in a wood

anything that gives the 'intruder' something to pause over, whether it be a lack of logon facilities, no discernable ID to allow them to grab the 'good' stuff whatever.

damn you foxy >.<
    the first thing i thought when i read the thread was "remove the drives" - lol
    but noooooo you had to get in there before me

if however that is not a viable option - one that might offer almost the same kind of thing while still retaining the drives on the machine is to invest in a good sturdy case with a lockable front cover. Sealing of the drives from outside access while stil allowing the manager or whoever has the key to access the drives quickly and easily.

Do not however leave the key sitting in the front cover as I have seen happen on regular basis - kind of defeats the purpose

this case (prolly a little showy for what you need - and i would prefer something a lil sturdier rather than as fancy) should give you an example of what I mean

http://www.xoxide.com/aspire-x-navig...lue-black.html

this however was just first search in google - I would not go for this case but would prefer one of a more sturdy design - ratrher than spendign the extra $$$$ on 'ohhh look blue lights!!!!!1111oneoneoneoneone' type features

To say that physical security isn't important or needed is retarded and ignorant -- hands down.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Regal Making Handler
    Just to add a bit to what has already been suggested, I would like suggest, if I can access the server carrying a copy of Ntpasswrd, I can access the server carrying a CD drive and a screw driver.
    Tight access control us a must.

However, if all the physical security measures suggested are not viable, (for what ever reason) the best thing I can think of is to place the box where it is in view of those in the company, who are aware of its importance. Open plan offices are a great security device. Either that or in the bosses office, where he has no one to blame but his self, if it gets messed with.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry