Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is antivirus software really necessary?

Is antivirus software really necessary?

I have been running my computer antivirus free since August '04. I am using a popular firewall (ZoneAlarm) and running anti-spyware software (AdAware & SpyBoy) on a regular basis. My question: is it really necessary to have AV? I have not encountered one problem involving a virus, which I know doens't mean there isn't one, it just hasn't effected my operation.

The reason I don't have the software is because my CD drive was busted for the longest time and I never got around to downloading any free software. Now that my drive is fixed, I am about to install Norton '03 just to be 'safe'.

AV Software: Saving PCs or Wasting Resources?
    -r.p.

I don't use a realtime AV. I use ClamWin to save resources, and just check files I suspect to be malicious.

Other than that, it's entirely possible to be reemed by 0-days but as far as I'm concerned my setup will let me know when I'm infected and I'll probably end up formatting and using backups in the event of an infectin. When it's my friends and family who I can't trust to be responsible w/ recovery discs and prepared to format, I recommend a realtime AV to help prevent an infection.

Other than that, if you do things right (i.e. secure design and updates) then I don't think it's necessary. AV's react to a problem, they don't prevent anything.

< No firewall, no antivirus, no spyware detectors, just common sense.

If you don't trust yourself with computers and are afraid you'll get a virus, then use an antivirus program. If you think you can handle the internet without one, then congratulations. It's personal browsing habits and other personal aspects that really make the choice.

And SodaP, antivirus programs PREVENT virus infections. Let's take Norton for example. Say you download some awesome illegal warez from some no name IRC server like Rizon. Thinking that you'll be getting this awesome leaked game, you finish downloading, but all of a sudden Norton pops up telling you that the self extractable zip you have is really some worm. This has PREVENTED you from running a malicious file and spreading it.

Originally posted here by gentilegenital
    And SodaP, antivirus programs PREVENT virus infections. Let's take Norton for example. Say you download some awesome illegal warez from some no name IRC server like Rizon. Thinking that you'll be getting this awesome leaked game, you finish downloading, but all of a sudden Norton pops up telling you that the self extractable zip you have is really some worm. This has PREVENTED you from running a malicious file and spreading it.
    If malicious code of any kind reaches your box, a security measure has failed and you are now reacting to an infection. In your case, a preventive policy would have prevented the data from reaching the machine. You were already comprimised, in my opinion.

And SodaP, antivirus programs PREVENT virus infections.
    This has PREVENTED you from running a malicious file and spreading it.

********** |ceWriterguy
    I'm running Spybot's tea-timer and PCCillin for both firewall and realtime scan. There have been many instances where PCCillin has picked up attempts to place trojan launchers, etc which Spybot has missed. The tea-timer, otoh, snags spyware quite nicely and prevents it from hitting where PCCillin will only catch it when I activate that portion of it's scanning.

With good 'net hygeine', solid knowledge, and these packages running up-to-date, I have very little fear of anything malicious getting into my system without my knowledge.

I don't want to begin sounding like a commercial for PCCillin here, but...
    It uses a LOT less resources than Norton or McAffee. It updates almost every day as definitions change and new virii are found (it just updated for the third time today as I typed this). And it's very user friendly. So long as their QA's keep doing their jobs and I don't crash again (I did on my other Trend-protected box during their little boo-boo a week or so ago) I'm satisfied.

Do we need AV protection in addition to a solid firewall and spyware protection? Absolutely, just like we need a phillips screwdriver for a phillips screw, and a flathead screwdriver for a slotted screw - different tools for different jobs.

Salut!
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Old Fart
    Antivirus software is like a condom. Personally, I prefer the piece of mind that comes with using it.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Hi Raccoon,

I agree with l3lacklce...your house may have locks on the doors and you may not need an alarm, and neither may prevent a burglar from getting in if he really wants to anyways, and maybe you'll get lucky and your house may never get targeted...

but why make it easy ?

Eg

sorry gentile...anti viruses like norton do not prevent viruses. they detect and delete them. if it is detected that means its already there. prevention would be closer toa firewall or a filter that just doesnt allow a file type. but if its detect and delete, then its not prevention.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Banned
    I do not run any AV software, and I never have. I've not been hit by a virus in over ten years and that was the first time. My company doesn't use AV software either, and even with several hundred users, we've not had a virus in the last 6 years (since I phased out the AV software)

Basically restrict administrative accounts from running untrusted applications and isolate/restrict standard users in a manner that prevents the virus from being able to propigate.

This has the advantage of being immune to new viruses and trojans while requiring no upgrades.

cheers,

catch