View Poll Results: Who will win the worldcup?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brazil

6 28.57%
  • Czech republic

1 4.76%
  • Holland

2 9.52%
  • England

5 23.81%
  • France

1 4.76%
  • Italy

2 9.52%
  • Argentine

1 4.76%
  • Germany

5 23.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which takes more skill - defence or attack?

Consider that allot of PoC and exploit code is written by "defenders" and that most of the "attackers" use other peoples code.

How many of these so called 'attackers' get hacked themselves?

Many people that get hacked aren't even aware there is something to defend against. i really dont think you can call someone who depends on someone (or something) elses ability to protect them "defenders".

most "defenders" have to know a great deal more than just defense in the performance of their job. they have to know how to make everything work right in addition to keeping others from breaking it. A great many defender know how to attack.

most hackers just spend their time scanning the internet for vulnerable servers, look for the latest exploit code and try to convince their teachers they deserve an 'A' even though they didn't do the work. i mean really how hard is it to alter code to suit your purpose. Is it hard to prey on the innocent?

i guess it all comes down to what you consider attackers/defenders to be

BTW which do you consider yourself?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

¤The¤Spe©ialist

it's a poll. he asked for an opinion. that qualifies everybody.

if you got something better to discuss then start a thread and stop your bitching
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

¤The¤Spe©ialist

it's a poll. he asked for an opinion. that qualifies everybody.

if you got something better to discuss then start a thread and stop your bitching
    Co-sign. And what qualifies you, ¤The¤Spe©ialist, to judge who is/isn't qualified to post their definition/classification of others? Blah.. whatever. More of the same from you man.
    Space For Rent.. =]

a coach a back in school told me that it takes more effort to defend ones self then to attack another.

when you think about it....... defence is like the balloon spread out verrrrry thin with little chane of getting every little thing and the attacker is the pin. all the pin needs is time and a week area. then........!boom! never being the same.

--------------
    when you here the same sounds from the same thing you learn how to make it a "white nose" then you are able to just put the thing out of mind. reminds me of a younger brother/sister.

Tedob1 has made me think (damn you sir, it is the week-end, you are not supposed to do that! )

There is an old saying: "attack is the best method of defence"

Which got me thinking about a computer gaming analogy for this issue. Please consider:

Mr. Attacker has a Neuroplasmaticmegablooper, and fires it full 360 degrees, monitoring for hits. When he gets bored he goes and has a few beers.

Mr. Defender, has an array of weapons he needs to undersand intimately. He has to ensure that his hull integrity remains intact, and he is being attacked along a full 360 degree perimeter. He is on duty (and dry) as long as his ship is in the combat zone.

/Me would rather be Mr. Attacker, as it takes a lot less effort and you get a lot more beer.

Happy 4th. July folks..............I have a dentist's appointment that day

most people here have neither the brains or balls to do anything illegal.
    Ehh, quite the opposite actually. I know quite a few people here who have either done something illegal and "reformed" or people who posses the knowledge and can/will do something if needbe. Again though, just because people can doesn't mean they will. Some people are actually smarter than that and are more interested in securing THEIR systems, catch me?
    Space For Rent.. =]

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    most people here have neither the brains or balls to do anything illegal.
    ROFLMAO....

1. Most people who have the balls to do something illegal don't have the brains to weigh the consequences first.

2. Most people that have the brains don't have the balls to do something illegal because they understand that the consequences usually outweigh the benefit.

3. Those people with both the balls and the brains have a thing going.... But they don't sleep well because they know that the "gentle tap" on the door at 3:00am is coming.... It's just a matter of when....

I like to sleep so I place myself pretty firmly in category 2.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Kwiep
    imo the attacker doesn't have less skill as the defender... of course there's alot of people who download some exploit and run it, but defenders have that same problem just downloading a firewall and running it... to turn that argument arround a bit defenders just need to work down this default list of firewall ids hwatever you prof bobo's use, while attackers have to figure out the unusual and new things instead... only the elitist defenders do the preemptive thing of checking their own defences in the way that actually uncovers new ground... I'm not talking about another ids rule or something... imo (all imo) closing the gates is alot easier as finding a gate the people forgot to close
    Double Dutch

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    of course there's alot of people who download some exploit and run it, but defenders have that same problem just downloading a firewall and running it...
    Rubbish.... That's a home user..... Close all ports because you provide no service.....

Now start talking real world..... Start thinking about _required_ open ports and then continue the discussion......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

SunScreen has a GUI.... That's Corporate level.