Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird problem..

Question Weird problem..

Hello,

I'm having a problem with my Windows 2000 computer. My brother was installing Windows XP Pro on a friends Hard Drive but left our harddrive connect and set the other one as master instead. Well, first whenever I would start up my computer I would get two options Windows 2000 Professional or install Windows XP. Then I don't know what my brother did but it changed from "Install Windows XP" to "Windows (undefined)" (All in spanish, since the WinXP installation was in spanish). I'm confused, could it be that it's partitioned? If so how do I un-partition it (I forgot :P Last time I did that was when I removed my Linux partition about 2 years a go)
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

So you're just trying to get the boot options to give you the option back to choosing between Xp and 2000, or rename what the options say? Or did I mis-interpret.
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy

What I want to do is remove it completly so Windows 2000 just boots up normally.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Control Panel > System > Advance > System and startup(settings) > Edit > From here, you'll just edit the boot.ini so it only brings up the Windows 2000.
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy

Well, first of all, under the advanced tab there is only "Startup and recovery" and when I click it, there is no edit button. NOTE: I have windows 2000 professional.

If you have backups of all your stuff or the ones you need,boot from your win 2000 cd and see if you do not have a repair option like in xp...if not then partition it and reformat the drive.That would be the best option i think
    Practise what you preach.

Maybe I'm still not getting the problem here....but doesn't he just want to edit the boot.ini so it automatically loads the 2000 partition?

Originally posted here by SirSub
    Maybe I'm still not getting the problem here....but doesn't he just want to edit the boot.ini so it automatically loads the 2000 partition?
    If it is in fact a partition, I want to remove the partition, so that way only Windows 2000 boots up. However, I'm uncertain weather it is a partition or not. I should probably download partitionmagic, it's simpler, what do you think?

I think a clean install would be best..Even if he does manage to change it , there might be some other references in the registry that could complicate the whole situation..What you could do is if your hdd is big enough,boot from the cd or you can use partition magic if you want and create a partition with the empty space available and install 2000 to that one without destroying your other data,save what you have to on that and then just format the partitions accept the boot one you created..

Alternatively you can unplug you hdd, plug in another hdd or flash disk big enough to load your o/system and work from there.

hope it helps
    cheers
    vanman
    Practise what you preach.

Whatever you do, I don't think using partition magic(tragic?) is such a good idea. I've used it once and it screwed up my entire partition table. A couple of friends also had the same problem. XP has it's own partition manager in computer management>storage space>disk management. Maybe 2000 has something of the same? After all, you just want to reformat the partition and use for something else right. After that it's just a matter of editing boot.ini using a text editor and you're done.
    Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
    -Thomas Jefferson

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=777