Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie who might be screwed

So Your problem was a System a PC Power down.. not a windows shutting down problem..

That is.. the system woould just power OFF instantly.. Seems many of us have missedthe shutting down thing..

IF it is a clean Off situation.. happening anytime be it during the "Sony System Restore" or if useing a "Live CD" OS get the PSU checked..
    If the system is OK with a "Live CD" or ok during a "Non Network" Installation.. Doing the complete installation with NO NETWORK CONNECTIONS..with no problems and is only happening when the network is connected.. and is a Shutdown WITH a warning.. You must be installing with XP SP1 or earlier.. Install SP2 before connecting to the net without a fire wall..

Seems we went off on our little paths without asking you to clarify what you meant by the shutdown..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Good point Undies~

I have come across a few situations where devices have powered down rather than shutdown. That is it was a hardware termination not a software one.

What it turned out to be was the I/O switch was deteriorating or was defective. It is spring loaded with a little hook to hold it in place. After a certain time, not particularly long but not consistent this would trip and power the device off.

Just a wild possibility?