Thread: Restricting downloads for clients

Restricting downloads for clients

I have a network with 2k3 DC and XP clients, how can I block the xp clients from downloading files.
    I tried group policy to restrict users from saving files to the disk, but that doesn't block them from running the application by clicking "run" from the download box.

Is there any other GP setting I can use to restrict this.... I googled it a lot with no use... if you guys can give me some suggestions/way to accomplish that, it will be very helpful...

Thx

Hi Oxygen
    Have you thought about approaching it from a firwall perspective? Preventing the download of executables via the use of a firewall rule?

Hope this helps

Connection refused, try again later.

Thank you guys... This is a small network and we cannot afford a firewall solution at this time... I am pretty much stuck with group policy and if any, free softwares to achieve this....

AOs Resident Troll
    Put them into athe local user group instead of power user\admin

This will stop the installation of software etc

I beleive you can use group policy to do this....by default most users are put into the local User group....so someone musta moved them to a local group with more permissions????

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I am trying to block the downloads from internet. Now when the user clicks on any link to download, they are given the option to run, save or cancel. I have blocked the save to disk through GP, but they still can click the run option and download the file..

AOs Resident Troll
    Not if they are not in the Admin or Power user group they cant....my kids cant install anything on my home machine...because the are not in these groups they are regular users and cannot install\uninstall, disable, update or configure anything.

They have to ask me really nice and then I log in with admin privilges and I install and configure it for them.

Grant it..they can download it...but they cant run it

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer