Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .asp search

Lightbulb .asp search

consider a .asp file on the net.here i have to enter a number (say rollnumber) and then it give me the results related to that number.
    e.g- i give some exam QWERTY and my roll number is 12345. so when results for the exam are announced i go to the site and open the corresponding .asp(say result.asp). i enter my nnumber 12345 and press enter. now it will show my name and my score in QWERYTY exam.
    here's my question: is there any way i can search for a name (say Sam) and get all other information related to Sam (his score and roll number etc)???
    any answers??

Well,

I sounds as if you have a database file with the rollnumber as the unique primary key field. You run a parameterised query that pulls the record with the unique roll number that you enter.

The simple answer is to write another query with the "name" field as the entry/search parameter. Depending on the size of the databse it might work more efficiently if you defined name as a secondary key.

Remember that people can have the same name, so the field cannot be a unique key, and that your query may pull more than one record as a result.

i appreciat ur concern to answer but if you check the site www.cbseresults.nic.in and select 'results for XII standard' link, you'll know what i mean. you will have no choice but to enter the roll number. what do i do in that case?? isn't there a program that can be made so that it tries every rollnumber and displays the result which contans the required result????

Well from what I can see the website just serves you a form to run a query somewhere over a database somewhere.

Unless you have access to that database and the query writing tool you cannot do what you are suggesting.

The database seems to accept 7 characters so 9,999,999 possibilities exist, even more if you include alphabetic characters. So looking them up individually is out of the question

The answer has to be "no" without a copy of the database.

ok
    what if i know the range in which the roll numbers are assigned? that will reduce the number of possibilities.

CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME IN MAKING THE PROGRAM IN MENTIONED ABOVE???

I THINK IT WILL BE GOOD LESSON

OK,

My first comment is that before you embark upon a project you should prepare a plan. Now in this case the big question has to be volume or scale?

So:

1. What is the range of numbers? (size of task)
    2. What computer hardware do you have? (processing capacity)

Log into the internet, connect to the site and to the screen where you enter the roll number. Then enter your roll number...

Now have a watch to hand, and count from the time that you hit enter to the time you get the answer on your screen. (transaction response time) Please tell me what that is.

I must point out that what I think you are contemplating IS NOT A GOOD IDEA

When a systems administrator sees multiple hits from the same ISP address his system should alert him? Now, a teacher may make 30 requests..............the head of school maybe 300 requests...........when it gets to 10,000 requests that is when YOU will start to have problems?

PLEASE GIVE THAT SOME THOUGHT

ok
    fine i give up
    i think it will be taken as DOS attack and i'll be in deep trouble
    THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR CONCERN :-)

by the way it took 2.54 seconds for my result to appear

Hi elfguy

I know what is going on. You are at a boarding school and are now home? You want to know what your school pals scored?

Now I am sure that this information is published in newspapers all over India? but obviously not in one place? so I would not consider it "classified" or even "confidential"................?

I do not know how to access a source database, for what you want, but I am sure they must be available. Please try the newspaper in the town where your school is located.

Your 2,54 seconds is horrific! and that was my point about planning. Say at the outside, it takes the .54 to resolve to the screen, that still leaves you 30 minutes per 1,000 records, saving straight to file?..........

Good luck, but don't bite the hand UNTIL it has fed you

And fellow members, please stop negging this guy...............I played to my gut intuition and won?

....................and it is July 4th. so you are all too drunk to have an opinion?

Have a good one!

hi nihil,
    thankx 4 understanding my problem

correction: time taken was 2.52 and not 2,52

so are you saying that it wont be illegal???

i think if i use a broadband i can reduce the time.

even if i am not able to accomplish my mission can you suggest how i should go about making the program i described. it could come in handy some day and you will have a new and kewl program to ur credit.
    i'll be greatfull

Hi elfguy, not sure with cbse but icse had a feature that displays the results of whole school and only that school has the special roll number that displays the result for whole school.
    You can ask your school principal if he/she allows to have a copy of that.

Referring to this thread
    Can you please tell us why did you used two handles for asking same question... just for information

- :S:
    \"And life is what we make it. Always has been, always will be.\"