Thread: Basic

Question Basic

Does anybody use BASIC to write programs? If you do then lets talk.

KG

Hey Hey,

---- Begin Joke----
    You're supposed to get APs for helping community.. correct? Therefore I'd like my APs.

----Begin Answer----
    Yes
    -----End Answer-----

-----End Really Lame Joke-----

Perhaps you should be a little more clear than asking if anyone uses it and saying you want to talk... After all this is for programming questions.. .That was programming related but not a programming question per se... Is there anything we can help you with?

Peace,
    HT

Banned
    BASIC? Ewwwwwwwww... Or do you mean Visual Basic? Or the VB.NET language?

BASIC is just a simple language that was created to do simple, basic stuff. It's still mostly used as some kind of macro language in certain office and reporting applications. Often it's used just as a scripting language too. And with VB, it also tends to be used to design GUI applications, that -with the help of components written in other languages- can be used for all kinds of purposes.

Personally, I consider BASIC to be just a beginners language. More advanced developers learn to use C++ or Delphi (Pascal) instead. Besides, if you want to make good use of VB combined with the Windows API or whatever, a good knowledge of the C++ language is quite helpful.

Well,

I go back to "quickbasic" (QBASIC) that shipped with DOS 5.0

Originally posted here by nihil
    Well,

I go back to "quickbasic" (QBASIC) that shipped with DOS 5.0

Really

I had an old Tandy that had GWBasic (GeeWiz Basic).. used it way before I ever saw QBasic.

Peace,
    HT

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by Katja
    Personally, I consider BASIC to be just a beginners language.
    Guess what BASIC is an acronym for...

Beginners All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I don't have any experience with "old-skool" BASIC... QB for me. Although, after OOP-ing it up, I don't know that I could go back to spaghetti/sub style...

If you're looking for a language that allows you to do command-line stuff, is powerful, dynamic, and supports objects, I'd suggest Ruby or Python. Python has more English documentation, although Ruby is catching up. Either way, you'd have a lingua that'd be more powerful, and you wouldn't have hard-core C++/Pascal programmers ribbing you (as much).
    I\'m back.