Securing kids online

View Poll Results: Who will win the Campions League?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Barcelona

3 42.86%
  • Arsenal

4 57.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Securing kids online

Securing kids online

Sounds like a home user's question I know but I think it has wider implications. Consider the following real life examples

1) Teenage girl receives an email telling her not to IM with xxx@hotmail.com because 'she is a virus'

2) Email sent to teenage hotmail users telling them to send 20 emails or have their hotmail account cut off

3) High school has to implement real time monitoring and alert because the kids are so inventive in bypassing the contents filtering

4) Father (who works in computers I kid you not) warns his daughter not to go online because of 'hackers'

5) children downloading and swapping P2P with no idea that they are doing anything illegal until their parents get a fine dropped through the post

Do I detect an advocacy campaign somewhere in here - which I suspect we should be involved in both to control the fud factor and to promote real and realistic measures for child protection online, both legal and technical?
    No one can foresee the consequences of being clever.

My $0.02 on this subject is that you need to strike a balance between measures to protect kids and parents taking responsibility for their kids time.

Either extreme of the argument leads to problems. You can't remove all potentially offensive/inappropriate content because what one person finds offensive the other does not - you could ultimately end up banning most content at that extreme. At the other extreme, parents need to take some responsibility for what their kids are doing. A reasonable parent wouldn't let their young lad save up his money to buy a subscription of hustler, the same level of monitoring should apply with what they do online.

One area I do think needs addressing of course is the internet predator. The internet gives undesirable people unprecendented anonymous and deceptive access to unsuspecting kids. What is the answer to this problem? One good item for discussion I think.

Well, my thoughts on the subject at any rate

Banned
    1: If you annoy me on MSN I wouldn't trust attachments from me or even talk to me if I where you.
    2: Fother Muck should be shot for that...
    3: And?
    4: When you haven't applied a service pack or two well...
    5: Chances are they won't... get real. I think every member knows how I stand on this one.

One area I do think needs addressing of course is the internet predator. The internet gives undesirable people unprecendented anonymous and deceptive access to unsuspecting kids. What is the answer to this problem? One good item for discussion I think.
    I think the whole point of this thread was to have a realistic way of going about things and lets be perfectly honest, you have a better chance of winning the lottery than to be murdered because someone thought you looked hot online or didn't like what you posted up or something like that.

That is... unless you put up a picture of something sexy like goatse or tubgirl all over adultfriendfinder.com and agree to meet up with the first Joe-blow who respondes.

If you are over the age of 13, it's your own damn job to be careful online... you're old enough to watch out for yourself on the internet, if you **** up, it's your own damn fault... If you are under that, the blame falls squarly on your parents shoulders for allowing you online with no supervision... between 13-16 a lot of blame still falls on parents for lack of education... other than that, it's personal responsibility... the info is out there if you look for it...
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Yes, but only on a personal basis.
    It is one of the many, many things that probably require more attention then most of us offer. However, as strongly as many parents and 'child advocacy' groups may clamor about the CRITICAL IMPORTANCE OF THIS (quoted from their many L-user spam-bait email chains), I think it simply falls under the category of User Education.

Feel free to set up yet another advocacy campaign, if you really think it's what is best; I personally feel it is too narrow in scope to fit AO very well. Certainly it's a topic worth discussing when valid points arise, but set up our own group? Active advocacy? Why reinvent the wheel?

http://www.wiredkids.org/
    http://www.cyberangels.org/
    http://www.childnet-int.org/
    http://www.safekids.com/
    http://www.nationalcac.org/families/...et_safety.html
    http://www.safeteens.com/

...I can keep posting these, but there really isn't any reason. I think the most realistic option, through this community, is to post relevant discussions on this subject and maybe (I hate to say this, but...) the OCCASIONAL tutorial for how the various software solutions that are available work (probably Other tutorials, not necessarily Security tut's.) I'm not advocating spamming the boards with this, but simply bring it up when it is relevant.

I do agree, it's an important cause. But so is cancer research. Gene therapy. Cold fusion. Fuel cell energy. Hunger and poverty. Human rights. Liberty and freedom from oppression. Shall we take on the technical and legal security aspects of these as well?
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Banned
    So basically the parents need to take a some bit of responsability. Especially in meeting people from the internet. However, I don't think it's fair to hold the parents responsible if the kid hacks someone, or the ISP, etc... I think kids are getting smarter about this things, but there is still a fair amount of stupid people that need educated. As for the file sharing, RIAA is just trying to get more money. If you look at how much the artists make from a CD as compared to the recording companies this will make plenty of sense; they aren't doing it for the artist, greedy ****s. Anyway, I think kids should basically be responsible for what they do online (and off), but I think we also owe it to them to educate them (especially if we plan on punishing them).

Regal Making Handler
    John Naughton, in his book A Brief History of the Future[1] covers this subject quite well IMHO. So I'll briefly quote from his work:

Myths about the evils of the Internet are invariably leavened with some hoary staples. The first concerns children - and the dangers that lie in wait for then in Cyberspace. Yet the minute one begins to probe into this phobia, strange contradictions appear. For example, I have met parents who seem relaxed about violent videos and/or unpleasant computer games, and yet are terrified of letting their kids on the Net. And when I suggest putting the PC in the living room where they can keep an eye on it they look at me as if I have just discovered gravity.
    [1]http://www.briefhistory.com/
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

AOs Resident Troll
    Jinxy makes an excellent point...I have seen far too many parents with that
    attitude

I monitor my kids surfing when at home and discuss the things that they see\read\hear not just off the internet.......the media as a whole.

Hey ,....my kids are worried that Karla is gonna kill them.. terrorists coming to our small canadian town, war, etc

I believe it is all about education, and teaching your children well...talking to them and trying to explain that TV, movies, video games, etc are not REAL....you cant even trust the news agencies any more.....its all about fear....its a wonder that we are all still around to waste our days on this site...with all the bulls%^t being spouted out there...we should all be dead...with bird flu, mad cow, west nile...etc

You can try and shield them all you want at home...but whats to say that they wont be going to a friends house and doing it there.

Teach them to make the right decissions in life....spend quality time and talk to them.
    We take our kids out camping almost everyweekend...just to get away from all the hype...
    my daughter the other morning was describing the sunrise on the lake.

"you should have seen it mommy...it was just starting to get light out.....everything was so soft"

My .02 cdn

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

As a 17 year old, I received the "be careful online" talks from my parents several times a week for about three years. I didnt feel that I needed them, but they were a good reminder. However, It got to the point where they were just patronising, and I said so. After that I didnt get any reminders. However, my sister (13) has had few reminders because my parents dont want to seem patronising to her. Since she started to go online regularly, the amount of adware, spyware and other nasties that have needed removing has increased.
    To conclude this chapter of my life story, I'm just saying that just because a parent has one well infromed kid, it doesn't mean they have two of them. They need to remember to tell them both the same when they educate.

Edit: Just reread what I posted and realised i kinda left the topic slightly. To stay firmly on topic here I should say that what parents say will help more than what people read. And if both are used together then I believe they will be even more effective
    If everything looks perfect, then there is something you don\'t know

Originally posted here by morganlefay

I believe it is all about education, and teaching your children well...talking to them and trying to explain that TV, movies, video games, etc are not REAL....you cant even trust the news agencies any more.....its all about fear....its a wonder that we are all still around to waste our days on this site...with all the bulls%^t being spouted out there...we should all be dead...with bird flu, mad cow, west nile...etc

You can try and shield them all you want at home...but whats to say that they wont be going to a friends house and doing it there.

Teach them to make the right decissions in life....
    Absolutely. My wife's step sister is given self help manuals to help her deal with hormones, teenage anxiety, depression. Her room is isolated from the rest of the house, she has a TV, computer and no parental guidance. I clean the PC at least once a quarter. This kid is screwed up and - judging from her chat conversations and surfing habits, she'll be pregnant or dead from an overdose (some kind of designer drug) by the time she's 16.

I talked to the parents and was politely told to **** OFF. So just like adults, when it comes to security Training, Training, Training. When it comes to kids and the internet - Hey it's just another form of media. Teach (train) and help with the decision making process.

IMHO
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0