Question Shell Account *HELP*

HI guys,
    i need some help.

What is a Shell Account??

How can I make one??

GOOGLE
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

You being serious?

A shell account is just a secure shell (ssh) account on some *nix box. It doesn't have to be a *nix box... it can even be a windows box. Its just secure access to a remote box.

Most ssh accounts are for command line... however, some people do tunnel other services (like VNC) over a secure shell.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

You can either get a friend to give you one, create your own server (windows or linux will work, a s long as you are using ssh), or there are plenty of places to get them online.

Most of the free ones really suck and don't have much privledges.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

What are the uses of a shell account??
    which free ones are good??

I have to slightly disagree with phishphreek80, in that a shell account and ssh are not the same thing. A shell is the command line interpreter. A shell account is an account that can access this shell. SSH, is a means to connect to a computer and utilize this shell account. SSH has other uses such as creating secure tunnels and such, and you can connect to a shell account in an insecure way such as telnet.

As for uses of a shell account, you can execute command line programs on a remote computer. I use SSH to connect to a shell account that I have on a box, and irc from it. I use pine on that box. I can connect to it from anywhere in the world and get to these items. If there were any other processes I wanted to run on that box, I could (as long as I have access to do this). A lot of web hosting places will give you a shell account to manage your website through. This will allow you to move files around and text edit them, just like you could at the console of a *nix box.

I would venture to guess that if you don't know what one is, you have no use for one and don't really need one.

Shell Account -- Account used for accessing a shell on a remote machine (typically *nix).

SSH -- Secure Shell. Used for having a more secure connection, connecting to the shell account, and is a form of a "tunnel" (as previously stated) to the shell account.
    Space For Rent.. =]

So is a Shell Account used for running commands like nslookup, whois etc. if i have windows]

Think of the command prompt on your windows box as your shell. You can run those commands from it. If you do, such as a ping the ping will originate from the box the ping command was sent from.

Now, if you use a shell account on another box (even though you're physically in front of your windows box), those ping packets will originate from the other box.

This is mainly a way to do stuff remotely. Skiddies and such use them for running exploits remotely, so as not to reveal their true location.

zENGER: I'll buy that. I just think shell == ssh because who would use rlogin or telnet anymore?
    Maybe there are other secure shell client/servers out there... but ssh is the most popular?

But then again... I was just thinking remote.. not local too.

Thanks for pointing that out.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

THANKX a lot pal