Systemax Releases First Custom-Build PCs Pre-Installed With Desktop Linux Operating S
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Systemax Releases First Custom-Build PCs Pre-Installed With Desktop Linux Operating S

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄

Systemax Releases First Custom-Build PCs Pre-Installed With Desktop Linux Operating S

released the first customizable Systemax desktop PC pre-installed with the Linspire desktop Linux operating system. The Systemax Venture L335 System is outfitted with top-quality components, including an Intel Celeron D processor, 40GB hard drive, CD-ROM and 256MB of RAM, plus keyboard, speakers and mouse. The Systemax Venture L335 is available for $299.99 direct to consumers at TigerDirect.com and GlobalComputer.com.
    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050706/law056.html?.v=17
    Systemax Releases First Custom-Build PCs Pre-Installed With Desktop Linux Operating System

ummm...hasnt dell doing this for a while now?
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Hi XTC46,

Don't really know much about it, but a quick look on google shows that Dell denied it...and said they were customized by the dealers...

A PC dealer in Europe has begun selling Dell desktops equipped with Linux, but Dell emphasised that the systems were customised by the dealer and that this isn't the first time this has happened.
    the link is about a year old but it says Dell's stand at the time...

http://hardware.silicon.com/desktops...9121976,00.htm
    Dell denies Linux installation - Desktops - Breaking Business and Technology News at silicon.com

I'll see if I can find something more recent...here we go...

http://linux.dell.com/
    Dell - Dell Linux - Community Web

admittedly, not up to speed on Dell or it's systems

Eg

I'm not sure if it was Dell, but I know a similiar company already started this. Bleh, oh well.. It's cool that machines are coming out pre-installed with a Linux OS (in this case, Linspire! ).
    Space For Rent.. =]

Banned
    Wal-mart has been selling lappies with Linspire for quite some time now (under $500 iirc)...

Wal-mart has been selling lappies with Linspire for quite some time now (under $500 iirc)...
    Have they now? Wow.. thanks for the heads up, Negative. I have a Wal-Mart (a HUGE one) right off the main road right near where I live. I'm going to have to go check out the laptops and see what they have (especially for that price ).
    Space For Rent.. =]

Hi Neg, Spyder32,

Well..the more the merrier as they say...maybe the more Linux becomes pre-installed on more systems the better the quality of product Microsoft will have to deliver in order to keep market share?

Eg

Or...No?

the better the quality of product Microsoft will have to deliver in order to keep market share?
    Or...No?
    'Nuff said.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Banned
    If you'd buy one of those laptops, you'd never want to touch a computer again (which in Spyder's case wouldn't be such a bad thing, of course )... I've never ever seen a computer with such bad ratings in any test you consult.

If you'd buy one of those laptops, you'd never want to touch a computer again (which in Spyder's case wouldn't be such a bad thing, of course)... I've never ever seen a computer with such bad ratings in any test you consult.
    Umm.. yeah. Well, I've never seen the ratings on them but I'll take your word for it.
    Space For Rent.. =]