Thread: Whoppix is DEAD - Long live WHAX!

Whoppix is DEAD - Long live WHAX!

What's going on - Where's Whoppix ?

WHAX is the natural evolution of WHoppix - a live cd, standalone penetration testing toolkit. There are some major new features in WHAX which add huge functionality compared Whoppix, and may change the way we use live distributions.

But before we get all fired up, a bit of general information:

Distribution Change

WHAX is so longer based on Knoppix, but on SLAX, a Slackware live cd.
    Read On
    http://iwhax.net/modules/news/

Aparently whoppix is gone...

I'm downloading WHAX now... anyone had a chance to mess with it yet?
    I was REALLY liking the way they had 2.7 all layed out too...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Sounds intereting at least.

/me downloads
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?

Intriguing! I'll have to give this one a try, along with Knoppix-STD (Ok, so I'm a bit behind in my LiveCD trials, so what?)
    \"The future stretches out before us, uncharted. Find the open road and look back with a sense of wonder. How pregnant this moment in time. How mysterious the path ahead. Now, step forward.\"
    Phillip Toshio Sudo, Zen Computer
    Have faith, but lock your door.

i have been using whopp for a while and it was pretty good while based on knopp.

i wonder why he made the switch from knopp to slack?

Originally posted here by rowdy_yates
    i have been using whopp for a while and it was pretty good while based on knopp.

Hey Hey,

The switch was primarily made because of the modularity of Slax.

Distribution Change

WHAX is so longer based on Knoppix, but on SLAX, a Slackware live cd.
    One of the main reasons I decided to try this is due to the wonderful world of modularity which SLAX uses.
    For us, this modularity means that we can easily customize our version of WHAX, and include whichever modules we like. All the tools have been compiled to "WHAX Modules" which can be easily added or removed, depending on our needs.

Modularity

Modularity also makes software updates much easier – for example, if a new version of (such as Metasploit Framework) has been released, we can now download the updated module, and update our livecd / usb stick instantly.
    This new setup allows for the greatest flexibility, as modules are easy to create (even from windows) – which means that if we want to add that tool (or wallpaper) we always wanted, but never appeared in Whoppix, we can now do it ourselves!
    A wonderful new software interface makes this whole process a breeze.
    You can find more information about it @ http://www.iwhax.net/whax.pdf including details on creating your own modules.

Peace,
    HT

As HTRegz stated, the modularity of Slax is used. From my own experience, Slax, and now WHAX are alot more responsive than Knoppix on the different machines that I have used. Nice piece of software.
    along with Knoppix-STD
    I also like Knoppix-STD, and have been waiting for the latest release, but no word for awhile now.