Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Use of open networks in FL can cause an arrest

Spurious.. let me ask you a question

Would your mom know someone is actually using ya'lls connection? Don't answer the question for yourself cause I'm assuming you would.

And so how would a cop determine what I was doing?

There's just no way in of this will hold up.
    50.00 Free to Play Party Poker - No Credit Card needed and no purchases required. MyGreenChip.com

Well. If there is a car you don't know parked outside your house with an antenna on the roof, and a nervous looking dweeb with a laptop inside we don't need to many other variables to solve for X.

On the subject of police. Don't forget that a WiFi card is essentially a radio. Law Enforcement devices that can isolate and record transmissions are nothing new; WiFi specific devices probaly already exist. Also, any decent amount of forensics could determine that an intruders MAC had been on the network; even on those little cheap D-Link rigs. So, I guess it really depends on how badly they want to bust that ass.
    Get OpenSolaris http://www.opensolaris.org/

Well. If there is a car you don't know parked outside your house with an antenna on the roof, and a nervous looking dweeb with a laptop inside we don't need to many other variables to solve for X.

Still at this moment it's all assumptions and the police could be called on "suspicious activity"

On the subject of police. Don't forget that a WiFi card is essentially a radio. Law Enforcement devices that can isolate and record transmissions are nothing new; WiFi specific devices probaly already exist. Also, any decent amount of forensics could determine that an intruders MAC had been on the network; even on those little cheap D-Link rigs. So, I guess it really depends on how badly they want to bust that ass.
    So now our cops need to be CWSA.. LOL

What if he just pulled over to type out some stuff he remembered and didn't want to forget. When he booted his laptop up it connected to the first strongest signal.
    50.00 Free to Play Party Poker - No Credit Card needed and no purchases required. MyGreenChip.com

Okay, okay...

Personally, I am going out to the street to beat the kid up and take his laptop for my collection. I'll probably take his car battery too since you can always use a spare.

Picture it. A car full of nerds and their laptops with multiple 8dB antenna's on the roof, wires going all over the place, a few GPS units and spooky steven hawkins'ish voices saying crap like "New SSID LIMA-ALPHA-MIKE-ECHO-ROMEO found" blaring out of the tiny little laptop speakers. It would take a pretty dense cop miss out on what's going on.

You apparently live in an area where law enforcement is not very sophisticated or computer savvy. Have fun while it lasts.......

-- spurious
    Get OpenSolaris http://www.opensolaris.org/

We've already established the guy in the car is a dumbass and should be arrested on stupidity anyway. With modern equipment you don't have to park in front of the house. Parking on the street with a laptop is not a crime. And I hope it stays that way. Your house ends at the street and in many cases way before that. Technically since there is legal right of way, my property ends 3 feet before the sidewalk.

Personally I would have beat on his window with a pipe until he either faced me or left and then turned of my wi-fi until I **** a clue.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Originally posted here by spamdies
    How do you prove intent that an open network wasnt meant to be used by the public?
    Good Question, I used to have an open access point when I was renting a house near the Lake. 1.) it was for my friends and I to use on the beach and 2.) for anyone with some PC knowledge to use if they found it.

It is nothing like overhearing a radio that your neighbor is playing. There is a difference between "intercepting" a signal, and USING that signal. Suppose your neighbor is listening to XM satellite radio. Something he pays a monthly fee for. And now, not only can you hear his radio because it is too loud, you are changing the channel to what YOU want to hear. You are depriving him of something he paid for. It is theft, plain and simple. Same with stealing (yes, stealing) Wi-Fi. The owner is paying for it, you are not. And if enough people hook up to it, his performance will be a lot less than he is paying for. You are stealing part of his serivce. This Florida guy will pay a price. He will likely plead down, but he will not have the case dropped.

And seriously, everyone who says "The guy deserves it if he doesn't secure his network" need to understand how ridiculous you sound. It is like a rape suspect saying "She deserved it! Look what she was wearing!"

Blast From the Past
    the guy CAMPED THERE ALL NIGHT!!!
    he deserves to be arrested for sheer stupidity!

the owner of the house notices the car with the laptop... sees the guy inside... and the guy inside still sits there.... little while later the guy sees him still sitting there

its tampa bay FL... relocate if you have to use someone elses internet oh so bad... hell he could probably drive down the street and around the corner!
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

Originally posted here by Info Tech Geek
    Good Question, I used to have an open access point when I was renting a house near the Lake. 1.) it was for my friends and I to use on the beach and 2.) for anyone with some PC knowledge to use if they found it.
    See, but in this case, you would not press charges, because you wanted to allow it. But that does not give people the right to EXPECT that ll Wi-Fi found is that. In this case, the burden of proof is on the person taking it. He/she is obligated to establish that the owner does not care that it is being used. It is not up to the owner to establish that he/she does NOT allow it.

And people doing this is total residential areas, clearly outside the reach of any netowrks that are intended for everyone's use, know damn well they are taking it from a private user.

And here is a good question. WHY are people doing it! Why go, sit outside someone's house just to get on the internet unless you are trying to cover your own illegal activity? If someone has the knowledge and equipment to steal someone else's Wi-Fi, then they have the money to pay for their own. So why do it? Curioisty is not a defense for breaking the law. "Just to see if I could do it" is not a defense. So why do it? Yes, the situation described of being on a beach is a differnet situation. (Though I find it a bit sad that people are on a beach and still feel the need to be online.) But I would expect that the cast majority of arrests in the fuutre will be like this current case. A guy sitting in his car outside someone's home.

Originally posted here by PapaPark

What if he just pulled over to type out some stuff he remembered and didn't want to forget. When he booted his laptop up it connected to the first strongest signal.

If you think that is going to introduce reasonable doubt into the minds of jurors, then by all means go and steal someone's services. But just know that unless the jurors are complete idiots, they are not going to buy that argument.