Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advancing in C++

Advancing in C++

Hi,

I started learning C++ a month or two ago, but I haven't been able to get a very good grip on it yet. I was learning form the "SANS Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours" book, which is very good, but I really can't advance unless I can actually try things out for myself. This is why I am posting this thread: could one of you please recommend a good project for me to do, and also suggest some resources to help me along with it? I would really appreciate this, as it'd really make me think, which would make the learning process much faster! I have looked at the Programming Sites/Resources thread but I was wondering if you could recommend some good tutorials which would specifically help me along the road to achieving the project! You could always just promote the ones in that thread Thanks!

edit: I learnt some Liberty BASIC quite a while ago, but that was a really bad language in my opinion. Therefore, I was recommended C++ for its encouragement of good code structure and variable definition etc, so please keep in mind that it's my first "real" programming language!

J_K9

bah.... put teach yourself C++ in 5 minutes away get a real book....

First, accerelated C++.... Everything you need to know is in the book... It is great... Next after that get thinking in C++... Great book.

Do a search on thinking in C++ you will get the website of the author... he has placed all his books on the web for people to get. I actually have a hard copy though... Good for travle reading....
    Once you are done with those come back... but those will lead you to where to go next.

Hi,

Thanks for replying wk2300, I've already downloaded ¨Thinking in C++¨ and I assume that by ¨Accelerated C++¨ you mean this book? It does seem to have some good reviews....I´ll have to have it shipped to me! I just have one more question: whatś wrong with SANS´ book (Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours)? It had some pretty good reviews too and it was recommended to me by someone....Thanks for the reply!

J_K9

All the teach yourself books are a load of crap.... First they aren't regularly updated, maybe once every couple years, seconds they all rely on one thing, abstration... they don't teach you a lot of the things you don't necessarily need to know, but knowin those things, is not a bad thing and it actually helps you out a lot... For something as complex as C ++ there is no way in the world that you could learn it in a month, you can even learn how cout completely works in a month... (Sadly enough that is true)

The books all leave wayyy too much out...

Let me ask you a question, would you want the person that is your surgeon givin you a heart transplant to learn on a SAMS book? If your answer is yes, give me a month and we can try this out.

Point bein, you can't learn it in such a short time, and the books usually teach bad coding.

IMHO I just don't like them.... Oh and as for reviews never read reviews on a book site, if you want to know what people think, people that actually know a little go on freenode, and ask in a channel, you will get the deadly honest truth about the book.

As for accelerated C++ just trust me on this one... That book and Thinking in C++ go hand in hand. Read it then read TICPP.... They work very well together.... And the reviews aren't bad, they are good, they just aren't great.... The reviews show no where near how good of a book it is.

IMHO there is no person that learns C++ that does not have 3 books, accelerated C++, stravstoph's book, and any book on data structures.

Here's some advice.....just learn the basics well enough and move on to object-oriented programming.....the real good stuff starts with classes,templates,exception handling,IO functions......start on with some small basic codes and then take some project......theirs no learning without doing some coding yourself...

Thanks whiz and neil! I've already received "Accelerated C++" in the post (to another address), so I should be able to start it in a few days' time! YEY! Yeah I've stopped learning from the SAMS book, and I'm just going to follow your advice - the three books, in that order! Thanks again,

J_K9

Angry Since I have question about c++

I have 2 things that I need to resolve:
    1.I bought some books but since they are on my language I do not know how to find program or what ever,that I can use to write programs in it.If I use a pice of paper I can't find out am I doing it wright.Have Windows xp Professional.
    2.How to get in other row?I use space but that seams so stupid?And when I finish writing my program then what?doi I need to press something?Enter?I do not get it.And only that isn't explained.
    PLEASE HELP ME!

Wink

HI J_K9
    I give u a tip....just get on to some coding by yourself...To start with u have got the right book...but just reading good books won't be enough to grasp soething like Objet Oriented Programming unless you try some real coding by yourself....YOu can also consult some problem based books after reading these ones to know the way problems are being put up and solved...It will be a gr8 experience...

Thank you praveen.smith! Yes, I have already started reading Advancing in C++ and it is far better than the SANS book...but, I guess that once I learn enough I will buy some problem-solving books like you said! Are there any in particular that you could recommend? Thanks! ;-)

J_K9

Ninja Code Monkey
    erm...it's Sams not sans. I actually kind of like the teach yourself in x hours line of books when it comes to picking up a high level overview or introduction to a topic. To each his own I guess.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X