Sasser creator avoids jail time

Thread: Sasser creator avoids jail time

Sasser creator avoids jail time

As apparently my previous thread dissapeared without a trace
    (I know who did it don't try to hide )

I will post this again ..but now incorporating the results.

So earlier this week we saw a young German computerwizz in court because he was the creator of the Sasser worm.
    He received his sentence today.

Sven Jaschan was found guilty of computer sabotage and illegally altering data, said a court official.... Sasser wrought havoc when the Windows worm struck in May 2004, swamping net links and making computers unusable.

Jaschan had admitted to creating the worm at the beginning of his trial on Tuesday, reiterating a confession to authorities at the time of his arrest in May 2004.
    Now he evaded prison time because on the time of his arrest he was only 17 and therefor a minor.

He evaded a jail term as he was tried as a minor since he was 17 years old when he wrote the worm.
    Dumb Teenager ??? How come he crippeled so many computers ... oh right ... patchmanagement

His sentence fell far short of the maximum sentence of five years in jail that computer sabotage carries under German law.

We're pleased that the author of the Sasser worm has admitted responsibility for the damage he caused and is being held accountable
    Nancy Anderson, Microsoft
    "Sven Jaschan avoided a jail sentence by the skin of his teeth because he was arrested within days of his 18th birthday," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant for anti-virus company Sophos.

"However, in the grand scheme of the virus world, it's the organised crime gangs, which are increasingly emerging to make stacks of money through targeted attacks, that should be dealt the harsh sentences, over and above the dumb teenagers."
    The organised crime gangs ... where's the untouchables when you need em ...

Hope this crime gang doesn't make my thread dissapear again

Source

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

AO Senior Cow-beller

Wink You can't trust those darn moderators!

However, in the grand scheme of the virus world, it's the organised crime gangs, which are increasingly emerging to make stacks of money through targeted attacks, that should be dealt the harsh sentences, over and above the dumb teenagers.
    Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant for anti-virus company Sophos
    I want to know how these organised crime gangs make money with worms/virii? Do they blackmail corporations? Or are they being paid by corporate adversaries to take out the networks of rival corporations?

Thanx Cemetric. While I didn't delete it... I perhaps/maybe-but-unlikely/probabaly was the cause. 'Nuff said.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

I want to know how these organised crime gangs make money with worms/virii? Do they blackmail corporations? Or are they being paid by corporate adversaries to take out the networks of rival corporations?
    Yes ...or maybe the Antiviri software makers ... they let developers invent new virussen and then be the first to deliver a solution to this new "dangerous" virus or worm...
    Now ..find the criminal

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

organized crime (russian mob) uses worms to install smtp servers and spam for pay. big money in spam. the back doors can be used to steel CC and other accout info or the owned box can be used to attack other networks. the worms that sasser killed were put in place by organized crime
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Banned
    "the worms that sasser killed were put in place by organized crime"

so the kid should get a reward ...

A recent turn of events I have heard through the fortune 500 grape vine is of attackes encrypting files on the target PC and then blackmailing for the password. I can't confirm this, but it sounds like it could work....if you knew what you were doing.
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by unhappy

Are you f$cking daft?

Sasser wrought havoc when the Windows worm struck in May 2004, swamping net links and making computers unusable.

<<snip>>

The Sasser worm infected PCs and systems running Windows 2000 and Windows XP across the world after making its first appearance on 1 May.

In the UK, the worm shut down the computers of the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, with staff returning to manual map reading.

It also hit about 1,200 PCs at the European Commission headquarters in Brussels, and allegedly wrecked Delta Airlines' systems in Atlanta for seven hours, leading to the cancellation of 40 flights.

Around the world, the Australian Railcorp trains stopped running because computer problems caused by Sasser made it impossible for drivers to talk to signalmen.

In Taiwan, more than 400 branches of the post office were forced to use pen and paper because Sasser crashed desktop computers.
    You want to reward this guy? I'll remind you of that, next time your network is DOS'd off the 'net.

Should I be rewarded when I try to clear out my neighbors garage Meth Lab, when I have no training, experience, or proper equipment to do so, even when I accidentally blow the whole house a several adjacent ones to hell because I make a mistake?

To paraphrase an old axiom, Put sh*t in one hand and intentions in the other, and see which fills up first.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Originally posted here by unhappy

not at all. i was just point out why the refference to organized crime was made. this so called kid endangered life and property all around the world and if he were tried in this country he would have been tried as an adult. although, in this case im not too upset with him getting a suspended sentence although i am surprised
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”