Stop error: 0x0000000A
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop error: 0x0000000A

Stop error: 0x0000000A

I have a windows XP box that is getting a stop 0x0000000A error. Ive narrowed the problem down to a bad device driver. So I just wanna transfer data between this drive to a new one that has an XP setup. So I used the prog Knoppix, a live bootable linux cd. So this is as easy as a little partitioning and mounting, but the faulty HDD is not there? only the new HDD is displayed and active?? Faulty is set to Master and the new one is Slave, both iternal. When I use the XP bootable CD it shows me that the faulty HDD has 2.2 gigs and no empty space, when it is a 20 gig HDD?! Oh and it cant tell what file system it has? When just a few days ago before it totally went out it was running XP Update. Now it is just in a precise boot loop. It does not hang on the stop screen. See it is Windows Update, from a FAT32 to NTFS, so thats where I get incompatible device driver. I cant believe though that a device driver is keeping me from entering into safe mode. Knoppix is a nice little tool. Im just in a rut. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Prop
    A+ Certified

I think partition magic has a drive repair feature. If not, try using the utility the manufacturer provides, if they actually have one.

Please try with your "good" drive set to "master" and the faulty one set to "slave"

I think that you will then be able to recover your data/files at least

Hey nihil long time no see. Man im about this close l l from pulling my hair out, hard and fast.

Ummmm, Ultimate Boot CD will not load any of its diagnostic progs. So i need to run it on an Intel, its currently on an AMD. ( Compat. issues)
    A+ Certified

Hi propaganda ,

You might use this data recovery tool:

http://www.roadkil.net/unstopcp.html

You will need a good drive set as master and enough space. It will recover stuff even from damaged and corrupted drives most times.

I have no idea what it will make of a drive that was being converted from FAT32 to NTFS and crashed part way through. It is worth a try though?

Then just reformat the drive in the normal way?

Good luck mate!

Hey man got an update for you. I looked into that prog you recommended above. Find another called Hard Drive Mechanic. (70$) So I dl it and ran it form floppy. It fixed a damaged boot sector and now I can repair missing or damaged files. My error screen has changed completely, easier to troubleshoot. Maybe you can help me with this, it says im missing the following from my faulty drive:

1. Normal
    2. Logged (\BOOTLOG.TXT)
    3. Safe mode
    4. Step-by-step confirmation
    5. Command prompt only
    6. Safe mode command prompt only

Enter a choice: (Any choice prompts the following below)

Warning: Windows has detected a registry/configuration error.
    Choose command prompt only and run SCANREG.

(SCANREG prompts error too)

The following is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS

The following is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\DBLBUFF.SYS

The following is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS

The following is missing or corrupted: COMMAND.COM

Type the name of the COMMAND INTERPRETER (e.g., C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)

C>_

Im guessing if I had a Windows 98 boot CD maybe I could fix this? XP boot CD will not give me an option to repair. So the question is how can I get these missing files back in memory drive.
    A+ Certified

Hmmmm,

Will it actually boot from the CD?

If it does it should give you an installation option. If you accept this it should then give you the option to do a Repair Install or a Clean Install.

Sometimes you might not get the repair install option on the second screen or it takes you straight to the format options..............DON'T DO IT

This is a pretty comprehensive tutorial on the process:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Also, have you tried the knoppix bootable CD since these developments?

If you can get into the command prompt try running chkdsk, if you are not being offered the Repair Install option.

Otherwise we will have to figure a way of replacing those files off the XP CD.

EDIT: Didn't you say you had another HDD with XP on it?................probably easisest to make that the master , boot from it and copy the files across to the old drive? (set it as slave, or use cable select)

Good luck

If I let it load just normal, without boot CD, it takes me straight to that screen. Now if I try any one of those options it prompts: The following is missing or corrupted. The command.com is missing so troubleshooting from CLI is not an option either. So this screen is useless.

It will boot from XP CD. lol, yea no repair option for me, come on nihil that would be to easy.

>Also, have you tried the knoppix bootable CD since these developments?
    No sir, but I will go do that and bid you a fair day.

>Otherwise we will have to figure a way of replacing those files off the XP CD.

>Didn't you say you had another HDD with XP on it?................probably easisest to make that >the master , boot from it and copy the files across to the old drive? (set it as slave, or use cable >select)

Thats what I was going to do with Knoppix. Didnt see the drive. In XP boot it shows the drive but where it should say what filesystem (NTFS,FAT32) it says [Unknown]
    A+ Certified

Hi Propaganda

It just occurred to me that during all this, your BIOS/CMOS might have become more than a tad confused

Please try booting into startup and checking your settings. If you have an "autodetect" hard drives option, try that. Now that the drive is detected in Windows, we had better make sure that the system recognises it as well, as that is what Knoppix uses?

Please make sure that you have your "good" drive as the master and the one we are repairing as slave, and that the boot sequence is:

1. Floppy
    2. CD
    3. HDD0 ("C")

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    Hi Propaganda,

This might help a little...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314063
    Troubleshooting a Stop 0x0000000A error in Windows XP

Eg