Thread: setuping LAN

setuping LAN

hi guru's
    well i got 512 SDRAM PC266 1.7 Ghz intel , 845G/GL n WIN xp and a broad band conection can you please guide me how could I establish a LAN for online/LAN gaming i.e what kind of SW/HW required for that.
    smoking is really bad for ur PC....

The main thing you will need is a switch or router and some CAT5 cables. (Not to mention a second computer )

There really shouldn't be much software that you would need except for the game. I know that when setting up a StarCraft lan I had to install the IPX protocol, but it all depends on the game.
    I'm 128 bits of awesome packed into a 64 bit address space.

99% of games released in the last 5 years or so don't need IPX, so that shouldn't be a problem... I think windows can install it for you if you need anyways...
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    There are different kinds of cat 5 cables... There is the kind for connecting a computer to another computer, and the kind that connects a comptuer to a router or switch... I can't remember the names though . Just make sure you get the cables that connect the computer to the router or switch ...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    You mean cross-over cables ............

used to link two PC's so that PC1 will Tx [transmit] to PC2's Rx [receive]

Routers do all the hard work for you , by doing the crossover [if required] inside the black magic box
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by foxyloxley
    You mean cross-over cables ............

used to link two PC's so that PC1 will Tx [transmit] to PC2's Rx [receive]

Routers do all the hard work for you , by doing the crossover [if required] inside the black magic box
    You mean switches Routers are more like traffic directors.. they tell you where to go..

lokeshdb_ms: You say you already have a broadband connection. So I'm assuming you already have a router? Is that an ethernet or usb one? What type? Some have a switch already build in them.

But you'll probably need another network card..and some cable..

If you have just one friend a cross-over cable will do.. If you need more PCs connecting you'll need a switch too... And a couple more friends ofcourse
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

inside the black magic box
    Mines blue
    =

Re: setuping LAN

Originally posted here by lokeshdb_ms
    hi guru's
    well i got 512 SDRAM PC266 1.7 Ghz intel , 845G/GL n WIN xp and a broad band conection can you please guide me how could I establish a LAN for online/LAN gaming i.e what kind of SW/HW required for that.
    I'm curious if you're asking the right question. Do you plan to have people come to your house and bring their computer with them (or you have multiple computers), or do you solely plan to play over the internet? If you plan to play online, then none of this stuff is really necessary.

thanx folks,
    one more help, In my hostel I use a CDMS mobile to connect to internet, can i also connect to my LAN (at home) from there ?

and i forgot to mention I got 10/100 card on board ,so it think an additional hub will do the the work for me if I want to connect to 4-8 users or still u guys suggest me to go for a new lan card.

Truly i dont know any thing about networking.
    smoking is really bad for ur PC....