Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Setting up a domain?

Setting up a domain?

Hi,

I've searched around on Google and on AO, but the only proper thread relating to "setting up a domain" is a tut I found (here), but that is for Windows. As I have been employed to set up an ethernet network in an office, and I'm looking to convert all the computers there to Ubuntu Linux (over time), and I would like the network to be a domain rather than a workgroup (administering the domain from a Linux box).

Now, as far as I know, domains are more secure than workgroups, because you can do things like locking-down computers and stop users changing system settings (this only comes from my knowledge of a Windows domain). Now, what I would like to know is, how do I set up a domain from a Linux box (would Ubuntu be alright to set it up?), how I can set the permissions for config files on computers connected to the domain (all would be Ubuntu), how to set up a DNS server (I think you need to do this for your own domain), and all the other stuff like this. How would I be able to implement the server if all the computers were connected to a router? Would I need to connect the "domain" box to the router, and then have all the other computers connected to that one (via a hub or something)?

You can also attempt to convince me on why NOT to go for a domain and just use a simple workgroup! Remember, in an office, I would like the network to be reliable, secure, etc...Although I think that stuff's pretty obvious! Thanks in advance, and I hope I haven't confused you!

J_K9

Hi J_K9,

Hope these help...

http://www.linux.com/howtos/Domain-4.shtml
    Linux.com - Setting Up Your New Domain Mini-HOWTO.: Obtaining Your Connection

http://resource.dedicatedcentral.com...cle.php?id=036
    DedicatedCentral Knowledge Base .: Setting up a domain on Linux/UNIX

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a
    Setting Up Your New Domain Mini-HOWTO.

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Domain.html
    Linux Online - Setting Up Your New Domain Mini-HOWTO.

Eg

Thanks eg! To the rescue once again The third and fourth links are actually the same tut, but that's the one I'm going to go with, as it looks the most "complete" What are your views on Domains and Workgroups though? Which one do you think is more secure, which one will be more of a pain in the a$$ to set up *cough*_domain_*cough*, with a domain is it true I can lock-down computers (-possible in Ubuntu?) whereas in a workgroup I can't, etc... Thanks,

J_K9

Hi J_K9,

Errrrr...you don't want my opinion ...like I said before...for that kind of help you're going to have to wait till someone more computer smart than me comes along ...this isn't my area of expertise.

Eg

Don't be too harsh on yourself eg....how did you manage to get 1224 posts in 7 months whereas I've only got 169 in 13 months!?

J_K9

P.S If anyone can answer the questions please feel free to do so

Hi J_K9,

how did you manage to get 1224 posts in 7 months whereas I've only got 169 in 13 months!?
    Mostly Post Whoring

Don't be too harsh on yourself eg
    I basically help by proving links...saves everyone from getting bad advice

Eg

Workgroups are more of a pain in the ass to maintain. Domains are more of a pain to set up. The best practice is to do what you know. Don't attempt Active Directory on a simple domain model unless you have setup and administered an AD domain before.

Document Everything. Rule of thumb: there is 100 ways to do 1 thing. Let the next guy know your methodology and "Method to your madness"

Always consider your lusers. If you introduce *nix to windows users, it doesn't matter how secure or open your new network is - the lusers will revolt, unless you're the "Big Boss"; and even then you will have to start looking for new employees.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Always helpful when you post two links of the same tut - shows it's widely used

Also, if anyone could actually answer the questions, I'd be very greatful.
    Who knows, you may even get some greenies!

edit: Before eg goes of being a post whoring link provider, I'd like to say there are no greenies for him

edit2: dinowuff, thanks for your post. Active Directory, um...??? Ya lost me! Don't worry about the nix thing, that's already been covered in a nice long entertaining thread! Ya so back to the questions.....Thanks for the pain in the butt thing, I'll keep that in mind! --You seem to know quite a lot about domains, maybe some more answers for some greenies?

J_K9

P.S I love bribery!
    P.P.S Please don't sue me!

Hey Hey,

When I saw the title of this thread the first thing I thought of was domains, like registering a domain, setting up DNS and servers (SMTP, POP3, HTTP, FTP, SSH) and getting it all going.... Then I read the first post and I see it's a windows Active Directory domain... Then I see the links (First Domain setup) and then I see that you're going to follow the Mini How-To which follows the first line of reasoning... not the second..

Windows Domains and Workgroups are completely different from the domain setup in that how-to.

Linux computers can be joined to a Windows Domain (See Samba for more info) however you'll still require a Domain Controller (Linux can't operate as a DC)..

If you are going with Linux desktops, I'm guessing you won't want Windows servers either.

Linux itself is a multi-user environment but it's not designed the same way that Windows is for networking.... While windows has Active Directory.... Linux doesn't have something that's fully comparable... AD and Domains provide you with a way to manage users, file shares, patches, inventory, etc.... It's pretty much unmatched in the Linux world from what I've seen.

However, Linux doesn't leave you high and dry....

You can setup NFS to provide your network shares with user specific permissions... You can setup NIS to provide a user management system...

DNS is a service that can run off any computer... You need to setup and configure bind... and it's not Point and Click like MS DNS... it requires knowledge of DNS inner workings... or at least a good working template...

I partially agree with dinowuff.... except that Domains aren't a pain in the ass to setup and administrate... they simplify life... (in my opinion anyways)... Everything else that he said is dead on...

I don't mean to insult... but I wouldn't think you are the best person to setup a companies network... you should be setting up what you know... You don't even have a full comprehension of what a domain is.. You know it exists and that it provides additional security benefits... You need to do a lot more research.. and this is a great start.... but I would turn this down or watch someone else do the install.. back off so it's done properly...

I can provide more details on anything you don't understand in here.. or anything else in general... just let me know.

Peace
    HT

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Who knows, you may even get some greenies!

Is it JUST me - or is he serious - LOL
    green from me for a DAMMMMMMMM good LOL, even cosidered ROF, although I believe that MAO hasn't happened YET.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone