Thread: Linksys WAG54G - no WLAN

Linksys WAG54G - no WLAN

Hi,

I am having a very weird problem, which I believe I mentioned in another thread. I have a Linksys WAG54G-UK v1.2 and for weeks it has been working properly, with firmware 1.02.7. All of a sudden, a few days ago, I woke up and tried to connect to my wireless network - but I couldn't. So, I tried searching for the SSID manually, and still nothing showed up. So, I connected to my router via an ethernet cable, and when I checked the wireless settings page they were all exactly as they had been. Upon closer inspection of the router itself, I realized that the WLAN LED was off. How can this be? The wireless network was working perfectly the night before, and then in the morning it didn't!

I have tried hard resetting it, but that didn't fix the problem. I have tried restoring the router to factory defaults (but it didn't restore it to the original firmware - why?), but that didn't work either. Please help me, because I am running out of things to try. I have even enabled SSID broadcasting, but once again, I couldn't find the bl00dy network! It is very unlikely that the router has suffered any physical damage, because I was the only person in my room all night () so the only person who would've been able to even touch it is me - and I didn't. A power surge could've been the cause - but then why would the router still power on, still have all my configurations, and still allow me to access the internet via ethernet?

edit:
    From ReviewCentre
    The Linksys WAG54g v1.2 does not work properly. I have had two both of which over heat and the wireless connection drops. This is a design fault. After spending hours on the phone to a monkey in manila they finally agreed to change the unit and upgrade me to the WAG54g v2 which for the past couple of months has worked without fault.
    Maybe I should get m'self a new'un?

Thanks in advance,

J_K9

(but it didn't restore it to the original firmware - why?)

Because there is limited space on the router to store the firmware. (In most linksys routers, it is about 4MB. Some have 8MB) The firmware is the operating system of this device. When you reset factory settings, you are just loading a config file that was set at the factory.

To revert back to an older firmware, you'll have to download that firmware and do another "upgrade".

My first suggestion would be soft reset... but you've done that.
    Next... hard reset... you've done that too. (hard reset just reset the device to factory config)

Sounds like you've done all the troubleshooting you can really do at this point...

So... have you called Linksys? Sounds like (from the other guys post) that they should have some documentation about this problem. It would seem that you can argue yourself a new router. (provided its not out of your warranty)
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Cool thanks phish, I've contacted Linksys by email, but all they said was to hard reset it and that should work. I'll try resetting the router to the original firmware, and if that doesn't work, then I'll call them up and ask them what the hell's wrong!

*hopes he can get a WAG54G v.2*

Thanks,

J_K9