Thread: The Truth :)

The Truth :)

http://www.novell.com/linux/truth/

Hehehehehehehehe, I just started reading this, it looks good so far.

Hi gore,

" The Turth...the Truth,,,You can't handle the Truth " ....just had to

Personally, I have no idea...I've never tried Linux...and I'm still very new at Windows...but here's something...

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1835516,00.asp
    Microsoft Surprises with Linux 'Hands-On Lab'

Eg

quite good article, they should highlight it on few major websites as well there own homepage just as micorsoft do, to get things even or atleast to level playing field.
    It\'s all about sense of power.

MS CLAIM: Linux and OSS are just as vulnerable to security attacks and breaches as proprietary platforms.
    The facts presented by Novell is the same kind of those that MS presents. They mix on the same response virus attacks (to desktops) and servers.
    I guess that there is more attacks on windows machines that on linux machines (of course using a balance of number of installed systems), but i think the diference will be lower as soon linux become a "home O.S."
    MS CLAIM: The effect of downtime for patch management does not need to be considered when calculating TCO.
    Agree to Novel. we must consider downtime for TCO.
    MS CLAIM: The distributive nature of Linux and OSS make it difficult to receive or even be aware of security patches and vulnerabilities
    This is a weird comparision. If we compare Operating Systems, i think that is the same... or Linux win, cause patches on windows are most common than on *nix (still MS code quality issue)
    If we compare all, we just ... cant, since MS is a "monopoly" and its easier to distribute patchs for just one Vendor (MS) than for a hundred. Again, Its more related to TCO.
    None wins here.
    Things Microsoft Failed to Mention
    Microsoft's “Get the Facts” website summarizes and emphasizes the strengths of Windows as they appear in the reports and studies they provide (see www.microsoft.com/getthefacts). However, they fail to mention the strengths of Linux that are cited in those same reports. Here are some quotes from these publicly available reports which highlight some of the benefits of Linux.
    “Linux shows measurably improved TCO compared with UNIX and Windows in small firms, in organizations with customized vertical applications and in “greenfield” networking situations where there is no existing software infrastructure”
    True. small to medium companies (my market, although my money come most from big ones ) with no structure (or even with a MS one) allways get saving when migrating to Linux. MS cant beat that.
    The ability to modify and customize the Linux source code affords customers the most intriguing possibilities for custom application development. This ability stands in stark contrast to the closed or proprietary nature of the Windows operating system. In recent years, Microsoft has opened up Windows to a limited extent and released numerous APIs. This enables third-party ISVs to efficiently produce interoperable applications that more easily integrate with Windows. However, this is nothing like the changes developers can make with Linux, where there is total access. The open source philosophy is deceptively simple: allowing developers, programmers and engineers to read, modify and redistribute the source code via standardized Linux interfaces spurs software development and evolution”
    Most hosting companies use linux because the "customization". However, "regular" companies (like a bank) just hate this, because changing O.S. will increase TCO (another thing to maintain). But since its a option (i dont need to change the code), linux wins here.
    We've Reached the Linux Tipping Point
    Here are some excerpts from recent news stories highlighting the rapid adoption of Linux in enterprise networks.

Trickle of interest in Linux starts to become a corporate flood

By this time next year you may well be using a Linux desktop at work.
    Federal Government here has a project to move ALL stations (and most of the servers) to open & free software. Also, the "computer for poor people" project (my best translation for the project) will be deployed with free & open software.
    When Linux enter on home like windows, we will be able to compare them again.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Leaving it up to Novell to "unbend" the truth is like leaving your dental health up to your proctologist. Neither will have a clear view of the situation.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Banned
    Why do all of these comparisons suck?

Nothing but spin... and what is more... not even useful spin. I would honestly be laughed at if I used any of these agruments to support a choice at my work.

cheers,

catch

Because you aren't in marketing, catch. You actually work for a living, and your job requires thought not just spin.

I should dig up some older articles from Novell slamming open source. Their hypocrisy knows no bounds.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Dude don't make me kick your ass. Novell has changed around A LOT in the last few years. They even put YAST on the GPL which is never was before. And they are doing a lot now to try and make open source a big thing for business. Regaurdless of what they may have said they have changed, and I know a couple employees there and they are really nice guys who really are doing what they can to get open OSs and software to the desktop.

And no it wasn't just the PR guys I've talked to, the other guys who work there like the SUSE team, love me.

You drag up old news about Novell, and I'm going to grab some on Free BSD and how some of them used to act

ReDHat used to be a nice company, they changed. Novell was a somewhat bad one, they changed. I used to be the biggest ******* on Earth probably, I've changed too. Give them a second chance. Novell is our best bet for fighting Microsoft. ReDHat said they want to be them, (I have the article somewhere) Novell doesn't.

Banned
    Pretty much all the companies are pro-opensource, everyone has taken the "Enemy of my enemy is my friend" approach... The sad thing is, Microsoft will still win. Why? Because opnsource only appeals to programmers and programmers who, through the peter principal have made their way to decision making positions.

However, Microsoft has lost its mind with their new license scheme... so I guess we'll see. Why no anti-Microsoft folk have jumped on the TCO increase as a direct result of this new scheme, is something I don't understand. Neither side every picks good or well calculated arguments though.

Don't be fooled, Novell wishes they were Microsoft too... one day it'll hit you all that Linux is no longer the underdog, upstart it once was and consequently it is no longer cool. Every company reaches a point where they want to be the monopoly. Everything else between here and there is marketing.

At least with Microsoft, you know they are evil and you don't get made a fool of.

cheers,

catch