Terminal server & Remote Desktop

Thread: Terminal server & Remote Desktop

Terminal server & Remote Desktop

Hello, i would like to know whats the diference between Terminal Server and Remote Desktop.

To terminal server i know that i need to buy licences to the clients access the terminal server, but doe's Remote Desktop need's those licence?

I have a Server accepting 20 Clients (Remote Desktop) , is Remote desktop enought or a Terminal Server with be more apropried? Why?

Thanks for all the help

Remote desktop will not allow 20 connections at once. terminal server will. With remote desktop only a single user can log into a machine at a time. terminal server will allow (depending on the mode you are in) as many as the system can handle or how ever manylicenses you have. If you dont want to purchase licenses, windows server 2000 and 2003 allows you to set it up for terminal server administration mode which allows for 2 users max. This is becasue the OS comes with 2 licenses. also, I believe XP technicly comes with a single license which is why it allows you to activate remote desktop.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    Hi yuris,

Remote Desktop, VNC, etc

These types of products have nothing to do with what we are talking about, except in the sense that they are thin clients for the biggest app of all: the OS desktop. They all have different features and capabilities: they make take total control, they may "share" with the machine's real user (great for training), but the important point is that they are running the machine's desktop. On a Windows machine, that's as far as you go, though of course with a Unix box there could be multiple possibilities. But let's not complicate that.

However, Remote Desktop is extremely similar to the Windows Terminal Server client we'll be talking about next. So similar that you may find the clients talked about in the same context, and at least on some platforms, you might use the same client software to access either Remote Desktop or a Windows Terminal Server. Even if there is different software, you might me able to use the Terminal Server Client to access Remote Desktop. I only mention all that so you know that is why some discussions of one or the other may be confusing.

Terminal Server, Citrix, Tarantella

Now we come to the more interesting stuff. The idea behind all all of this is to let the Windows machine run more than one copy of an application. Why not? Why limit yourself to one desktop? Why not have a copy that the client off at the other PC can individually control? Think of the benefits: one application to keep patched and current. One big muscular server to run this stuff, much weaker machines for the clients. Control the environment they see: maybe they only get one specific app rather than a whole desktop! Or if they do get more general purpose use, we can lock them down much more easily to specific settings that they absolutely cannot mess with no matter how much they may know about their PC. Centralized control, money saved, security improved, wow, this is great!

Well, except that it really wasn't so great, at least so not when it first came out. Nothing wrong with the base idea, heck, that had been proven and tested on Unix for many years. And nothing really wrong with the server software or the PC clients that let all this magic happen - oh, there may have been bugs here and there, but those get cleared up. No, the real problem was the Windows applications.
    http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/winterminalserver.html
    Windows 2003 Terminal Server, Remote Desktop, thin clients and all that

I hope this sheds some light.

Eg

Okey thanks for the replys, and for the light on this matter. I will configure today the Terminal Server and disable Remote Desktop.

but here is one more question regarding the licences. I have 20 Linux Clients with Rdesktop (i guess it will work with Terminal server, since the server is very similiar with Remote Desktop,so this client sould work), they will be accessing Windows aplications by Terminal, and one of them it would be Microsoft Office.

Do i need licence for every one of this clients access the same Microsoft Office?? Or Terminal Service licence is enought? Or maybe just one licence for Microsoft Office(something like, 1 licence 1 computer)?

I could always use Open Office, but if i only need to pay one licence, i could use Microsoft Office.

Thanks for the replys

for all applications on terminal server you need to buy a license for each user, not each computer. it will work without them but if you get tossed by the IRS (or other auditing agency) you are ****ed.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com