Thread: folder viruses??

folder viruses??

hi peeps

yesterday, i was browsing my machine and what i found was, in most of the folders there were two folders I never heard of before. These were "folder.htt" and "destop.ini". In some folders, these were hidden but in some they weren't. Also, when I scaned my computer using AVG 7 and Mcafee 9, these werent detected as a virus! Although the folders were empty but I still doubt that they maybe some new kinda virus! Can someone help?
    CodeNameVirus

I think what you are seeing are the "hidden" files that Windows usually doesn't display. The reason you are seeing them now is because you went into the View - Folder Options and unchecked the option to hide hidden and system files from view. You can turn that back on if you want and it should get rid of the files. By that I mean they are still there just as they always have been but you will not see them anymore.
    Did you uncheck the option to hide hidden and system files ?

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._20672560.html

Scroll down and read the whole thread.
    O.G at A.O

hi

no i didnt unchecked the that option. in fact its always unchecked on my pc. Also, I said earlier, in some folders these folders i.e. folder.htt and desktop.ini are hidden but in some folders these folders are not hidden!!
    CodeNameVirus

In the folders where you desktop ini is, is that folder or anything in that folder on the desktop? On any of the users on your machine, not just u. Do you have xp home or Xp pro? I have seen windows hide the desktop.ini file and some time it will not, depending on that folders pref.

ALL THOUGH from the google searches I have done, Many people think that these two folders are a virus of some kind and that they work together because of the vb code and java code in the folder.htt. how ever I can olmost be sure that these files are system files and they should not be deleted even if you try they will come back. Like I said desktop.ini is for shortcuts or copy's to the desktop weather you have that short cut or not. Also I found a tidbit on google a search talking about folder.htt that is has somthing to do with the way that certain folder looks and you can even change the way the folder looks by hacking that file. I tthink if you do some searching on MS web site and google you may find your anwser more exactly.
    why?

> My computer alway have: folder.htt and desktop.ini remain
    > in all folders of my explorer.

Those fiels are used to hold customization options when you use the Web
    View for folders. If you want to get rid of them, you'll have to use the
    Windows Classic view.
    Source

Try switching views and restarting. If they go away, don't worry.

good job
    i see the same thing
    why?

Hi,

Please be very careful ...........
    "destop.ini"
    is not the same as "desktop.ini" and a lot of malware relies on dyslexic, sounds like, nomenclature to remain undetected.

The regular folders/files you refer to are harmless and may be deleted, unless they are the current day's ones that are locked open.

hey guys ,

I have a virus collection, and one of the viruses that i keep is the very common "folder.htt" virus.

NAV detects it as a virus, so I assume it is (I know i should not rely on that, but i dint have time to do the research).

Regards,
    The FACT that people ignore FACTS
    doesnt mean that FACTS are not FACTS

Gig~

Please PM it to me and I will take a look on a labrat box?

hi
    after all the answers i got and some research, i found that, the folders that were hidden were always "desktop.ini" but the ones that werent hidden were "destop.ini"(which is malware kinda thing as said by nihil, thnx nihil!). About my OS, i hav XP Pro, I hav jst one user(thats me) and the folders in which these folders occur, some were related to desktop but not all! And after I switched to the Classic view, the "desktop.ini" vanished but the "destop.ini" and "folder.htt" still remained there. Although, after I deleted them from some folders they didnt return but still I am suspicious about them and how to avoid them??
    CodeNameVirus