Tutorial for using the 2.6 Kernel on Slackware Linux

Written by gore

First you need to install Slackware Linux. I recommend reading my tutorials as they go step by step.

After the installation is complete, login as root and mount the Slackware installation disc #2.

mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

cd /mnt/cdrom/testing/packages/linux-2.6.10

Install 2.6 kernel:

You can 'ls' to see the available files, but you want to be sure you have the kernel, kernel modules, and makeinitrd installed. You can install it while you're installing Slackware Linux on your box. mkinitrd is what make an initial ramdisk.

installpkg kernel*.tgz

cd /boot

mkinitrd -c -k 2.6.10 -m reiserfs

This will create the /boot/initrd-tree containing the initrd filesystem. It will also create the actual initrd (initrd.gz).

you can enter 'ls' in /boot to see the files we now have. Among others, you should see 'vmlinuz-generic-2.6.10' and 'initrd.gz'.

Now to make the changes to /etc/lilo.conf, use your favorite text editor. I prefer 'vi'. Add the following under your previous kernel:

#Linux bootable partition config begins

image = /boot/vmlinuz-generic-2.6.10
initrd = /boot/initrd.gz
root = /dev/hda1
label = Linux-2.6.10
read-only
#Linux bootable config ends

Save and exit the editor. Now run /sbin/lilo. If you see the 'Added Linux-2.6.10, you should be okay. Go ahead and reboot.

When you reboot, select the 'Linux-2.6.10' entry and see if it works, it should.

Everything should work except sound at this point. This is because you are still using the old alsa-drivers.

Mount the cd #2 again. In the same directory where the 2.6.11.9 kernel packages are, there is the alsa-drivers for it as well.

installpkg als*.tgz

alsaconf

It should recognize your sound card (if it's supported) and all should be working.