Hey all, its been a while, good to see the sites not changed much.

Anyhoo, i've got a question that i havent been able to figure out for a while now and my teachers couldn't help much so i'll try to describe as best as I can and hopefully it can figured out.

A few months ago i had cable internet and I had a web and ftp server going through dyndns and my router didn't need any extra config other than port forwards. Shortly thereafter, I switched to a dsl service thinking it would help uploads. Well to my horrid surprise I found out that having a web server, even if it is a personal one, is against their rules and they'll cancel your account.

I wrote their tech support asking why and if it was against their rules if i ran a ftp server for school. He/She got snippy and kindly told me to 'shove-off' and my questions never got answered. When I got this dsl they specifically told me to make my router 10.x.x.1 and I had to choose static ip with the specified ip as 192.168.1.2 and default gateway as 192.168.1.1 followed with 3 of their dns server addys.

Does the specified ip of 192.168.1.2 and the default gateway as 192.168.1.1 have to do with their servers? I assume so because my gateway is 10.x.x.1 but I don't know what those ip's mean and why is my chosen static ip a lan ip address when my public ip is definately not static and changes frequently?

I can't seem to get any ports to work period. no matter what ports i open up, no one can connect to any of the ports as if they were not even open. Can an ISP block connections to all ports? If so, how? By opening up every packet that passes through their servers?

I actually kinda feel stupid having to ask, I've almost got my associates degree in networking and can subnet like the best of em' but i can't figure out why I can't get any flippin' ports to respond and what that 192.168.1.2 ip is.

Hopefully I gave enough detail and made any sense at all. I'm a very confusing person online Thanks for any help!

.:Mungie:.