Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baby drunk at birth; new mother charged

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Angry Baby drunk at birth; new mother charged

Seriously. Court ordered tubes tied! Sheesh!

Source: The Toronto Star

BARTLESVILLE, Okla. (AP) — A woman who police say had been drinking heavily before she gave birth was charged with child neglect after the baby was born intoxicated and diagnosed with fetal alcohol syndrome.

Melissa Tanner, 37, had a blood alcohol content of 0.29 per cent when she gave birth June 30, and her daughter's was 0.21 per cent, according to an affidavit by police. The legal limit for drivers in Oklahoma is 0.08 per cent.

Hospital staff had to use an oxygen bag to help the baby start breathing and gave her medication to counteract any narcotics, according to the affidavit.

Tanner allegedly told police she and another person had consumed a case of beer and that she regularly drank during her pregnancy.

She was jailed on $30,000 (all figures U.S.) bail. At a court appearance this week, Tanner was advised of her rights and ordered to return to court Aug. 5. She has not yet filed an application for an lawyer or entered a plea, the court clerk's office said.

Sheriff's investigator James Wynn said the baby has fetal alcohol syndrome and has been placed in a foster home with a caretaker experienced in dealing with addicted infants.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention lists the syndrome as the leading preventable cause of mental retardation and physical deformity. The severity of disability in this case won't be known until the baby is older.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

If only pot were legal. She could have done that instead. I don't think it's nearly as harmful as alcohol, especially for the baby.

if only she took the life she was carrying seriously and stayed clean.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

It's about time they did something like this.

Drinking during her pregnancy. even smoking during pregnancy is harmful but not as bad as
    drinking I guess she didn't care enough to stop.
    I had to google 'jfgi' to see what it meant. The irony is overwhelming.

I'm sure, though, that some crazy liberal people will fight saying that mothers can drink during pregnancy if she wants to. After all, "it is her body" and "she has the right to do what she wants".. think about it.. it's not a big deal if she kills it, but if she makes it drunk? Then we have a problem.

*Note: High amounts of sarcasm were used in this thread. Apply where YOU think it would go.

Seriously, I do have a problem with this and agree that something needs to be done about the general situation.
    I'm 128 bits of awesome packed into a 64 bit address space.

Drinking during her pregnancy. even smoking during pregnancy is harmful but not as bad as drinking I guess she didn't care enough to stop
    I think you have a good point there cdkj ................over here, there are plenty of warnings about smoking, but none about drinking............OK I am a bloke, so I do not get the personal medical advice that a female might, however, doesn't a child have two parents? so husbands should be advised?

"she has the right to do what she wants"
    That's a huge misconception and it applies only to the point where it's legal and doesn't affect the rights of others. The mother clearly violated the babies rights by forcing the baby to get drunk.

Another classic example is smoking. Do they have that right? Sure, as long as it doesn't violate someone else's right to breathe air which is free of their smoke.

~cheers~
    Connection refused, try again later.

Originally posted here by Relyt
    That's a huge misconception and it applies only to the point where it's legal and doesn't affect the rights of others. The mother clearly violated the babies rights by forcing the baby to get drunk.

Another classic example is smoking. Do they have that right? Sure, as long as it doesn't violate someone else's right to breathe air which is free of their smoke.

~cheers~
    I have to agree. The parts I typed which were in quotes was meant to signify where I meant for the sarcasm to be. I was just trying to show where, to some people, it's no problem if the mother violates the baby's rights to live yet feels it's wrong to get the baby drunk.

I don't want to change the subject, though. I just felt it was very hypocritical.
    I'm 128 bits of awesome packed into a 64 bit address space.

over here, there are plenty of warnings about smoking, but none about drinking
    I have not found a bottle of alcohol whos label does not warn against the dangers of drinking while pregnent.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Hi XTC46

I have not found a bottle of alcohol whos label does not warn against the dangers of drinking while pregnent.
    Exactly my point. In the UK and Europe (AFAIK) there is no such warning, yet the dangers of smoking are clearly stated. We are way behind you guys on this one.

Maybe it is because we have a national (free) health service, or our lawmakers are percentage players and this issue is not considered "big" enough at the moment?

It certainly looks like an oversight to me.

I would be obliged if someone could PM me a photo or scan of these warnings and I will pass them on to my political contacts...............might as well have them doing something useful for a change?

Having given it some thought, I cannot recall seeing a pregnant woman in a bar or drinking in a restaurant in the past 10 years...............so it could be our health service's pre-natal advisory programme?