Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: keyboard's shift keys problem

keyboard's shift keys problem

about 15 minutes ago i was writing a post on another site and about 3 sentences in i went to make a capital i [by striking shift plus i] and it wouldnt work. moments before that i had used the shift key without a problem. i hit the shift key on its own and the help menu popped up for internet explorer. i repeated this several times and the same thing happened. i hit the other shift key to see if it worked and it gives me this;

EIS
    {<ES{<ES{ES{<ES{ESES{ES{<ES{<ES{ES
    {<SS

in that jumbled above i hit the right shift key 11 times. no enters or spaces were used. i restarted my computer several times and also switched the usb port it is plugged into but no luck. on the desktop, the left shift key acts as a right-click, bringing up the menu. right shift key does nothing.

i have to write a biology report tomorrow so any quick assistance would be greatly appreciated.

i have a compaq usb keyboard model sdm4540ul

thanks in advance.

ryan
    -r.p.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Do you have an old PS2 keyboard to swap out with.
    Just to prove the USB board good or bad .................
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Originally posted here by foxyloxley
    Do you have an old PS2 keyboard to swap out with.
    Just to prove the USB board good or bad .................
    im using the usb because i broke my other ps2 one, so no

edit

i was playing poker online and i was typing and i realized that if i hit the shift key and a letter several times, the right click window will pop up [because tehre is no help popup] and i can sometimes get a capital letter. this means that the functionality is stil there, it jsut doesnt work properaly
    -r.p.

It is possable that one of the other keys are "Locked".. turn the keyboard upside-down and hit it Face down on the desk a few times.. this will clear out the dust bunnies, stationary tailings and forgotten meals..
    if it is a locked key.. it should return to normal use for a little while.. give it a go..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Originally posted here by Und3ertak3r
    It is possable that one of the other keys are "Locked".. turn the keyboard upside-down and hit it Face down on the desk a few times.. this will clear out the dust bunnies, stationary tailings and forgotten meals..
    if it is a locked key.. it should return to normal use for a little while.. give it a go..
    i am now able to type very well on the poker [i can hit shift and make capitals with no problem, etc.] but when typing here it still brings up the help menu

ES
    {<

seems the right one didnt change it at all.

but it works better by a fair margin in the left side.

edit. problems are still around in the online poker area though
    -r.p.

Does it by chance beep when you press the shift key?

You might have "sticky keys" turned on?

Press the shift key 5 times (without pressing any keys between) and it should pop up the sticky keys menu.

Though, the symptoms don't sound like it....

Just a random thought...

You can also uninstall the keyboard and reinstall it.

Right click over my computer and click on manage, then go to device manager, right click over your keyboard and uninstall it. Then reboot. (or you can scan for hardware changes to reinstall it without rebooting... but a reboot normally works better.)

Maybe the keyboard mapping got messed up?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

i am hesitant to remove and reinstall the keyboard because i dont have the install disk and i remember it being a pain in the ass to do before. it has functioned properly for several months and this is the first time ive had a problem with it. as i said, both keys started to screw up in the middle of me typing [at the same time mind you] so i doubt it would be anything to do with drivers/installation.
    -r.p.

Then can't you download the drivers before you uninstall it?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    Then can't you download the drivers before you uninstall it?
    no
    -r.p.

Have you tried the keyboard on another computer?

What about a different operating system?
    Like booting with a live linux distro (knoppix etc.) and seeing if you have the same problems.

If it works on a different os... or computer than the problem is most likely going to be software.