Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: firefox failure

firefox failure

I have been a loyal firefox user for about 6 months now. Everything was going great until a few day's ago. I don't when it happend but I do know that it started afther my antivirus got a program update. (i use avast! antivirus). Suddenly firefox won't load most of the pages and the some he does load take verry long. He doesn't even load them whole but mostly the text parts and with some luck.
    I don't know of my antivirus is the problem or something else. But if anyone can help me i would really appriciate it.
    [T]he future is now.

Hey DakX,

Shut the AV off and see if the results are the same. Could try another browser that you have installed and see if it has the same fate. Even so, I'd redownload the latest Firefox and install it to see if that clears it up.

~cheers~
    Connection refused, try again later.

Thx for the quick repley. I tryed shuting it down, that didn't help much. I tried to reconfigure it so that it would let it go untouched. I found a way to get my images back. But it didn't speed things up much. Ie is working fine but to be honest i really don't like working with it. I just deleted everything from firefox even my profile so i have to see how that runs. I got the newest version now that i could find for dutch users 1.4.0. See if that works.

-Edit- I got it up an running. I fogot something. I applied pipelining to it and it works like it should. I tried with av on and off, no diffrence maybe a bit slower with it turned on. Shut down my firewall offcourse.

Piplelinening (not writen by my source is down below)

Firefox Speed-up Trick
    Everything you should type is of course things you should type in without the quotes. I just use them to separate what you should type and what not to type.Also, if you are on dialup,it is possible that this will not speed your surfing up a lot. It might help you a bit, but not very much.
    Surf to "about:config".
    You will see a new place to type named "Filter". Here you should type in "network.http"
    The list of stuff will have shortened significantly. Look for the rows named "network.http.pipelining" and "network.http.proxy.pipelining". Doubleclick on these so that their value changes from "false" to "true".
    In this list, you will also find a row named "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests", doubleclick on this and type in "30" in the popup box and click ok.
    After you have done this, rightclick on some empty space in this list and choose "new -> Integer". In the first box that pops up, type "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and hit ok. You will then be presented with yet another box, in this you type "0" and hit ok.
    Restart firefox.
    You have now enabled a feature called "HTTP Pipelining" which in essence should do something like downloading the page your viewing in several parts at once instead of just one part. The speedup comes from that if the server is slow, you can download many parts at once, adding the speed of those together instead of having to wait for the entire page to load through the slow connection.

This thing helps you utilize more of your bandwidth, it does not create additional bandwidth for you. Also, if the servers you're surfing to are already fast, they will not become much faster.

The second thing this does is eliminate the delay that firefox has in rendering your webpage. Firefox has a built-in delay of approximately one second in which it waits for the webserver to download the page before it starts drawing it out on the screen. This "nglayout" thing you did eliminates that delay and tells firefox to begin drawing the page for you immediatly.

Source
    Original tread
    People who i think wrote it : Skillzpay and Miroku4444
    [T]he future is now.

Please be careful with these "tuning" tips..............some sites may consider them an attack

Go into <tools>
    <options>

And clear your history, cache and cookies.

Another problem with websites is Java, so make sure that you have the latest.

The way I look at it is, Firefox works fine.............if you have to mess with it you are just hiding a problem?

Originally posted here by nihil
    Please be careful with these "tuning" tips..............some sites may consider them an attack
    That would be stupid because al it does is load the page in several pieces. And don't worry i am carefull. It is a tested tecnique

Another problem with websites is Java, so make sure that you have the latest.
    I have the latest
    if you have to mess with it you are just hiding a problem?
    No problems it was just slom. That tunning helps it speed ip and makes me able to see teh website. Don't know why but wihtout it, i can't run firefox as i can now
    [T]he future is now.

Hello DakX,

Everything was going great until a few day's ago. I don't when it happend but I do know that it started afther my antivirus got a program update.
    That is the bit that I found unusual.........I have been running Firefox on WinXP and Win2000 boxes with no problems...........PC-Cillin and AVG as antivirus, and I have not encountered this problem.

Interesting?

Everything was going great until a few day's ago. I don't when it happend but I do know that it started afther my antivirus got a program update.

Hello DakX,

That is the bit that I found unusual.........I have been running Firefox on WinXP and Win2000 boxes with no problems...........PC-Cillin and AVG as antivirus, and I have not encountered this problem.

Interesting?

Yeah alot. I could have something to do with a problem i had earlier with firefox. I had to delete it whole. Now that I think of it, maybe I didn't tweak it. I think that thats the problem.
    But stil, even without the tweak it should run normal but a bit slower. It still doesn't explain why firefox can't contact the website. Because IE had no problem at all.
    [T]he future is now.

Hmmmm...........

These applications are pretty complex, so it sounds as if you might have some corruption in there?........my best shot would be to boot into safe mode and do an uninstall.............that way you should get rid of ALL of it?

Then just reinstall the latest version?

I guess it is worth a try

OH............remember to save your favourites and links first

Well everything is working fine now. I installed the latest version. No problems here.
    I have been having problems wiht my pc in general. Crashing and other wierd stuff, it because of the fact that this machine already 7 years old and has never been formated. Thee is a lot of junk on it. I need something to place al my back ups on, still looking for that. For the time beeing there seem to be no problems so I will leave it like this. Only thing that keeps me worried is that sometimes i have a primary boot failure. Mostly resulting in getting me pissed off and frustrated at the same time. Thx for the help any way

P.s. i already have back-up from al my book mark (about 200).
    [T]he future is now.

Hi DakX

Can you give us a bit more information about your PC?..............hardware, operating system and the like?

There are several of us here who might be able to help? I have managed to get a Pentium I/133Mhz to benchmark within 12% of a Pentium II/266Mhz.............my warning about "tuning" was just a warning

Cheers