Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple Pen-test Using Nmap, Nikto, Bugtraq, Nslookup and Other Tools

King Tutorial-ankhamun

Simple Pen-test Using Nmap, Nikto, Bugtraq, Nslookup and Other Tools

Droop's Box: Simple Pen-test Using Nmap, Nikto, Bugtraq, Nslookup and Other Tools

Droops from http://infonomicon.org/ asked me to do a security scan on one of his boxes. I made a video of it that might be helpful to some wanting to do a vulnerability assessment. In this video I use Nmap, Nikto, Bugtraq and Nslookup to find out information about his box, what’s running on it and how it might be penetrated. His IP has been changes since and he has patched his problems so don’t bother hitting the ip in this tutorial.

Check it out and let me know what you think:

http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/droops1

I think Droops plans on putting part of this video in an upcoming Infonomicon TV ep.

Its cool to watch. And verry usefull if you want to test your own computer.
    [T]he future is now.

After you complete a pen-test like this, do you write up a report? I think accompanying the video with this report would be very useful.

yeah i would appreciate a report too , if you have it with now, can you share it?
    It\'s all about sense of power.

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    No real report, I just told Droops what I found via Email. I still have the Nikto log if that would help.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    What IronGeek has provided is a *very* basic pen test. I'm certain he didn't go on to show the actual technique of compiling, reporting and running the exploit because of liability concerns (rightly so). In a real pen test, there is usually a POC (proof of concept) section where you publish specific details on the actual success rates of known (sometimes unknown) vulnerabilities on the box/device.

Just a suggestion for ya Irongeek. Many folks here have never done a real pen test (some don't even know what that's short for) so you may want to note in your video tut that you are only covering the initial steps of the process, not a complete penetration test.

my useless 2 cents as always,

th13

PS
    Change your name to "the video professor" and sell your videos on cut rate cable stations.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    I guess “Vulnerability Assessment” would have been a better label. I just wanted to give folks a basic idea of how to look for problems using those tools, especially Bugtraq.

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Well, people keep asking me questions like "port 25 is open, what could happen?" so I figured I'd point them in the right direction to finding out.

Edit:Sorry, the above makes no sence because the post it was a response to was deleted.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    You contribute a ton of useful material here. It's very rare that I can find even a suggestion to add to it. Keep it up man.

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I'm new here, and I hope I'm posting in the right place. When I use nmap -A -P0 ip, I get:

starting nmap 3.81 (http://insecure.org/nmap) at 2005-7-19 12:19 Eastern Daylight Time

..then nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just taking a long time?

Im on a 2.2ghz Windows Xp box, running SP1 (5.1 - 2600), on broadband cable connection (4mb)
    \" Love is the sugar that rotts your heart \" ~ Iniquity