Win 98 USB support

Thread: Win 98 USB support

Win 98 USB support

I just ordered a 2gb thumb drive. I am going to use it a lot at work where instead of using a cd I can have all the programs i use most on it and ruin it from there. 98 is the only Os that I work on that will need drivers. I was wondering though...If I installed them in regular mode, can i access the flash drive from safe mode? What do you gusy think?

You will have to try it, but I very much doubt if any USB device will work in safe mode. I know that is certainly true of my WinME boxes. The drivers do not get loaded. Even the CD drive doesn't work.

I am not sure what you could do if you booted from a Knoppix/Whoppix/Bart PE CD though?

The only reason I think it might work is because I HAVE used usb kbds/mice in safemode.
    I was lookin into that too. It is pretty easy to get either bart or damn small linux on the thumb drive and boot off it. But the only reason i dont go linux is the same reason is never do, ntfs write support, it is possible but still dangerous.

Sorry oofki I take your point about NTFS. I was only referring to Windows98, which only supports FAT AFAIK? I don't think that Win98/98SE/ME support USB in safe mode.

I suppose another approach would be to use a modified startup to load the drivers, a bit like the Win98 boot disk?

Yeah I've been thinkin about somethin like that for awhile. Because you CAN use the cdrom in safemode as long as u load the drivers. I wanna put a batch together or something...