Thread: Stopping pop ups and getting disconnected.

Stopping pop ups and getting disconnected.

I keep receiving inappropriate pop ups even though I have a pop up blocker. These pop ups come from diego garcia. I use the web for job searches. Shortly after the pop ups appear and I close them I get a message about an error asking if I want to send or not send an error report. I click on don't send and my windows all close down. I have to start all over on whatever I was working on. Is there any way that I can stop this from happeing. I use windows xp and internet explorer for everything. Can anyone help me?

Sounds like an Interner Explorer or windows problem to me. Try using another browser, firefox ? ********firefox.com and see if it happens again. fireox is more secure anyways.

Oh, by the way: Wrong forum to post such a question in
    O.G at A.O

Yes, this probably belongs in newbie security questions.

1. Check your phone bill............Diego Garcia is a known haven for dialler scams.
    2. Get a firewall
    3. Update your operating system

Download, update and run these in SAFE MODE

http://www.ewido.net/en/
    http://www.emisoft.com/en/software/free/

I would also run your antivirus in safe mode

Empty your browser cache, history, java cache and cookies.

And, as suggested, change your browser

I close them I get a message about an error asking if I want to send or not send an error report.
    BTW, this is symptomatic of a browser crash, not a popup. The error is the runtime/crash info to be used for debugging.
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Hi nebulus200

You are quite right there, but with the pop-ups and Diego Garcia, I wonder if it is a genuine message or part of the scam?

Just a paranoid thought

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hi nebulus200

You are quite right there, but with the pop-ups and Diego Garcia, I wonder if it is a genuine message or part of the scam?

Just a paranoid thought
    If it was me, I wouldn't trust a damn thing on that system and would rebuild it...

I always wonder about that crap...I never get this stuff (I assume by doing prudent things to protect my system), yet everyone that comes to me for help (I have since started charging to rebuild the system and instructing them to use things like firefox, ad-aware, spybot, etc, which made a HUGE difference in the number of help calls I have been getting) always insists that they didn't do anything...it just happened one night...
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

I always wonder about that crap...I never get this stuff (I assume by doing prudent things to protect my system), yet everyone that comes to me for help (I have since started charging to rebuild the system and instructing them to use things like firefox, ad-aware, spybot, etc, which made a HUGE difference in the number of help calls I have been getting) always insists that they didn't do anything...it just happened one night...
    Exactly the same story here my friend. It seems to me that some people just cannot resist the temptation to open attachments and click on links?

BTW that second link is to a pretty good (free) dialler zapper