fast OS re-installation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fast OS re-installation

Talking fast OS re-installation

hi guys its me agian....

im kind a busy now adays because of my work......

theres something comes into my head..... i know that its possible to re-install a OS (win98 for example) with less configuration.... like the serial key is already there......

for example I have a pc with win98se installed in it and the win98 installer itself is in a folder..
    them suddenly the OS itself corrupt, then the possible solution is re-install windows...

my quesiotn is how can you re-install without configuring again or giving details about the pc user.....?????? example the serial key, etc.

thanks guys...

POST PLS>

Yeah, we all noticed your absence

Are we talking about a downloaded "illegal" win98 setup ? or an actualy original CD ? You can leave the configurtion by choosing "Leave the current filesystem intact", meaning don't format when re-installing.... i think the serial would still have to be typed in....
    StreetsCrack.com Join The Best Music Social Network Online. Music downloads, promotions, forums, profile, games etc...

T3h Ch3F

Re: fast OS re-installation

Originally posted here by jin29_neci
    hi guys its me agian....

theres something comes into my head..... i know that its possible to re-install a OS (win98 for example) with less configuration.... like the serial key is already there......

for example I have a pc with win98se installed in it and the win98 installer itself is in a folder..
    them suddenly the OS itself corrupt, then the possible solution is re-install windows...

my quesiotn is how can you re-install without configuring again or giving details about the pc user.....?????? example the serial key, etc.

thanks guys...

POST PLS>
    Why the **** are you using win 98?

Just a question.

And M3M is correct the serial would have to entered.
    Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

Or couldn't you just choose Upgrade when running the setup, that way everything stays the same...
    StreetsCrack.com Join The Best Music Social Network Online. Music downloads, promotions, forums, profile, games etc...

Well, Windows98 and 98SE don't have the recovery point mechanism that ME and XP have. And there is no repair install. Depending on how corrupt your system is will depend on whether you can install from the hard drive. You should have made a Win98 boot/recovery disk when you loaded the OS.

Provided that you can get into System Manager you can find the key on the first page of the "system" option.

If you select a custom install rather than the default you can select what items you want in your configuration.

Perhaps the best method is to create a "ghost" or "mirror" of the drive, and just reload that.

T3h Ch3F

Yo!

Originally posted here by 妯py展ght
    Or couldn't you just choose Upgrade when running the setup, that way everything stays the same...

Good solution, yet I have had issues with this method, I think that a clean re-intall can be the only way given some circumstances.

It is always good to keep the book no one reads, with the original OEM #.

Unle ss you are trying to install a cracked copy.

$0.02

Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

Hi Galdron

Unle ss you are trying to install a cracked copy
    I wouldn't have thought that would apply to Windows98SE. You can copy the original CD and it will work. You can use the CD as many times as you like, and any genuine key will work. Obviously not entirely legal, but my point is that the security is pretty much nonexistent.

AND what about drive imaging software..?

Works for me.. but then my systems are that bloody stable.. I replace the mobos or HDD's before I normaly need to recover a system..then the image is useless.. but then i should be doing this to the C: partition monthly.. ahh wot the hell I am a lazy ****..

yep ghost is a handy (but troublesome at time) Tool
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Options:

1. Use drive imaging software (as has already been suggested)

2. Use something like nlite to create a cut-down, pre-configured and slipstreamed version of Windows and burn that on to an installation CD. You can do this with windows 2000 and windows XP. But you can't (as far as I'm aware), do it with Windows 98.

As has been suggested, if you are using windows 98, this is probably not a good thing (YES - I have a windows 98 machine, but it's running ancient hardware and I don't turn it on very often)

Slarty

You can also do scripted installs. (including entering the cd key)

This book covers it.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...478615-0943255

I picked it up at my local bookstore for under $5. But it was on the bargin rack...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.