Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telnet Queation

Question Telnet Queation

Hi There

I just want to now if there is a way that you can mount a local drive with a telnet command and if you can start or open a telnet port on a remote computer over a LAN and what is the command for that if you can help me with this???

thanxs
    Guys
    There are ten kinds of people:
    Those who understand binary and Those who don\'t

Telnet is a remote access protocol... it only gives you an unsecure remote shell - you really can't do much with file transfer (unless someone's got a clever hack...). If you need to transfer files, you'll be stuck with scp, ftp, or some kind of samba/nfs deal.

Those who understand binary and Those who don't
    Yeah... so are you one of the one's that doesn't? Is that the joke? I suppose it's a unique twist on an otherwise overused sig line...
    I\'m back.

if you start the telnet server on your own machine you can telnet into it using 127.0.0.1 and have access to all the partitions just as in DOS.

to start the telnet server on a remote you have to have permissions and it needs to not be disabled. (if it is there's some registry changes that can be made using reg.exe from the resource kit that will correct this but its easier just to walk over to the machine and enable it.)

Get psexec.exe from systernals.com then enter:

psexec \\<mach_name> net start telnet

if your not logged on as admin:

psexec \\<mach_name> -u <admin_name> net start telnet

you will be prompted for the password
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

When it comes to transfering files, there's nothing you need Telnet for that you can't run from DOS.

If you need to transfer files, you'll be stuck with scp, ftp, or some kind of samba/nfs deal.
    Co-sign, that's correct.. my suggestion being FTP.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Originally posted here by Spyder32
    When it comes to transfering files, there's nothing you need Telnet for that you can't run from DOS.

Co-sign, that's correct.. my suggestion being FTP.
    Hey Hey,

Why would you suggest an insecure protocol??

Also the co-sign is really started to get annoying

Peace,
    HT

I just Want to now because one of my buddies told me that he mounted a drive in telnet and I just want proof to bring him down to earth and then I want to use his so called computer skills agains him because he is a loud mouth that now every thing. thanx for the help guys.

and you are real funny embro1001 and by the way i'm learning binary thanx for the motovation.
    Those who understand binary and Those who don\'t

Originally posted here by maddog1

and you are real funny embro1001 and by the way i'm learning binary thanx for the motovation.
    Hey Hey,

He was commenting on the fact that it's written "There are 10 people in this world, those who known binary and those who don't".. 10 (binary) = 2 (decimal)... However if you say ten (or type ten)... it is a decimal number and the statement no longer holds true..

With geek humour you have to get it exact, otherwise it loses it's humour.

Peace,
    HT

Originally posted here by maddog1
    I just Want to now because one of my buddies told me that he mounted a drive in telnet and I just want proof to bring him down to earth and then I want to use his so called computer skills agains him because he is a loud mouth that now every thing. thanx for the help guys.
    He may have telnet'd in, and then mounted the remote drive on the remote machine... like if /dev/hda1 wasn't mounted, he may have gone mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/foo, and then navigated through "foo"... but I daresay it's impossible to mount a remote drive for local access. He could have SCP'd something after mounting that remote drive...

Yeah... I didn't know that you didn't know the actual joke, or I wouldn't have said a thing. As long as you're learning binary, you may as well look at hex as well. In my opinion it's easier to convert from binary to hex than decimal to hex (since binary is usually broken up into 4 bit chunks, which are easily represented in hex, i.e. 1111-1111 = F-F, because 1111=15, and F=15).

Then, while you're at it, you should take a crack at assembly (or HLA, which is a bit easier, but still gives you the fundamentals), that way you can put your new knowledge of binary and hex to good use.

Then, while your doing assembly, you could take a look at C, because you could make cool assembly functions that you could integrate with it (using SEP/SEP).

And gee golly wiz, by the time you finished all that, you could look down on your uber-1337 friend and tell him straight out he's wrong, because you'd have more skillz than he.

Or you could just tell your friend to STFU... that usually works where I'm from.
    I\'m back.

Why would you suggest an insecure protocol??
    Because it's only as secure/insecure as the user lets it be. JMHO

Also the co-sign is really started to get annoying
    Co-sign, it really is..
    Space For Rent.. =]

Originally posted here by Spyder32
    Because it's only as secure/insecure as the user lets it be. JMHO

Co-sign, it really is..
    Hey Hey,

If you agree it's annoying, then I really hope it stops..

As far as only as secure/insecure as the user lets it be??? You're talking about a plain-text protocol that could be easily sniffed.... How is this as "secure/insecure as the user lets it be". That's like saying telnet is only "secure/insecure as the user let it be"... This is known to not be true.. That is why things like ssh and sftp even scp have been created... because the protocols are inherently insecure... I've even worked in relatively secure internal environments where ftp is not allowed because it's considered to be an insecure protocol...

I'd really love to see an explanation on this one.

Peace,
    HT