Need help migrating Data

Thread: Need help migrating Data

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar

Question Need help migrating Data

Hello fellow members of AntiOnline.com I currently bought a new PC and I need some help with migrating users data from “My Documents” to my new system. Both OS are running Windows XP. What would be the best way to do this?

Also, what would you guys / gals recommends to import Outlook Mail and Contacts from old PC to new PC? All help is greatly appreciated. ComputerNerd22

AOs Resident Troll
    Do you have a home network?

You could just transfer via the network.

Or you can slave theold computer drive into the new computer drive and grab all the files you need that way.

Ose the OE export function to you my docs folder and then reimport into your new OE

Some links below

http://email.about.com/od/outlookexpresstips/

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;283205

http://support.microsoft.com/search/...press+location

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Yes I do have a home network. 3 computers in all. 2 desktops and one labtop. All using CAT5 cable behind a DLINK Ethernet Broadband router.

You could just transfer via the network.
    What would you recommend to do this what protocol specifically?

I have another question, how would I migrate all data files (ie: MS Word docs (*.doc), MS Excel docs (*.xls), MS Power Point docs (*.ppt), MS Access docs (*mdb), and any other files created by software applications) as well? Thank you for the fast response, Computernerd22

AOs Resident Troll
    Do a search for all those docs on the old computer and copy them into the my docs folder. They probably are already there cause you are using XP...by default it sticks evey thing in there.

Also...in the C:\documents and settings you will have all the profiles on the machine in there...including your OE stuff.

Create a user on both machines with the same name, password and both with admin rights.

then connect from your new machine \\machinename\C$ or you can use \\ipaddress\c$ this will take you to the root of the old machine...where you can copy the stuff you want.

I usually create a folder on the new machine at the root of c :\ called "old Computer" and stick everything in there. then copy and import from there. You can grab your whole profile if you like.

I prefer to use the import and export functions of IE and OE to transfer mail, contacts, settings and favs.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    just link the boxes onto the network.

run FAST wizard on the box you want to get the data from.

start > all programmes > accessories > system tools > files and settings transfer wizard.

Save the data generated onto the original box in the C:\ root
    On the new box, run FAST and map to the data file on the old box.

let the wizard work its magic

I used it most days for migrating laptops across
    takes about 5-10 minutes to run
    takes EVERYTHING across

it's PDGood

[edit]
    Outlook mail

file > import export > export to a file > personal folder file .pst > select folder, select sub-folders and filter [include created / anytime] > double check you have selected the correct file [I take the entire mailbox] browse to where you want to save it [C:\]

on new PC.
    file > import export > IMPORT > .pst > browse to it [map to it first ?]
    All done.

if you have any archive stuff, or personal files saved as additional boxes, post that it is so, and I'll give details of how to get them too .........

DO THIS EVERY day .......... Office 2K3 migration + Outlook to new exchange server.
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Ok my network knowledge is small althoug i can build one if needed. But the best way, for me is to share the folders so you can copy anything you want from 1 pc to the other. I know its not the fastes way but atleast you can select what you want instead of copying everything.
    About your outlook... I don't know anything about that, sorry.
    [T]he future is now.

I posted a neat little batch file a while ago that would do just something like this. Clicky

Computer_1
    1st go to the PC that you are going to copy to. Create a shared folder called migrate on the root of your c drive. Now share it (right click go to sharing and check the box that says share this folder)

Computer_2
    Now right click my computer on the pc you are going to backup from and map a network drive (in this case it would be drive h then you would type in \\Computer_1\migrate

now take the batch file and follow the directions.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here