Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slackware installation

slackware installation

hi guys thanks for the help in the post that i made recently.......

this time im downloading linux slackware coz im planning to install linux slackware in all of my network pc.....

could you give me a good site to help me install the OS i want or could you help me to install it....

and i want you to give me a feedback regarding this OS if it is good, bad or whatsoever so I can have a clear idea regarding this OS...

thanks guys in advance..

We have a 30 pc's in the network....

Here you go:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=251388 - by gore
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=266424 - by riot

more tuts by gore:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=267183
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=269329

The first 2 are for installation, and the next 2 are kind of follow ups by gore, a good read anyways.

One very good reference for slack installation is :

http://shilo.is-a-geek.com/slack

You can find this also at:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=174447

Hope this helps you out.
    IMO slack is really cool, but it's not for a beginner. And for networking, I don't know if it is good, but on a personal computer, it's great ! I've been using slack for 6 months now and it's great. You get to learn everything ground up. You'll learn lot of things you didn't know about linux.
    Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
    -Thomas Jefferson

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=777

AO Senior Cow-beller

The Slackware question

It's GOOD.
    If you want a serious linux distro that pretty much sticks to the community standards and will force you to learn.

It's BAD.
    If you don't know much linux (as you've pretty much implied), and are looking to learn.
    /* edit */ Let me rephrase...I didn't put that quite right. It will FORCE you to learn A LOT. SO in that regard, it exceeds probably every single other distro...but if you don't have a good mentor, instructor, or guide who can patiently walk you through a lot of the questions you'll have, you will come away frustrated and un-learned.

It's UGLY.
    If you are not a 'geek', don't care about open-source, linux, Bill Gates, or the Free Software Foundation, you just want to surf the web and clicky clicky stuff like you do at your grandma's house on her AOL connection.

Linux is not for everyone. That goes double for Slackware. I like slack, a lot, but I don't even use it, really. You want to install it on 30 network PC's, but want us to give you a "clear idea regarding this OS"? Move on. I would suggest one of three distro's to start out with, each with it's strengths and weaknesses.

#1 Fedora - can't go wrong with one of the most popular linux distros. Con's are, it's based on RedHat, and RedHat does things their own way. If they don't like how something is done across the linux community, no big deal they change the rules to match their needs. *shrug* It'll get you up and running quickly, but it won't teach you much.

#2 SUSE - <fill in gore's cheerleading rant here>
    I'm not as familiar with SUSE, but I am certian is has it's own con's and idiosyncracies.

#3 UBUNTU - my personal favorite of the three.
    It's based on Debian, but is very, VERY newbie-friendly. You'll get a solid distro up and running quickly. Con's are like with Fedora/RedHat, you won't learn as much, it does a lot for you 'behind the scenes'. Also, because it is based on Debian and doesn't have a frequent update/revision cycle, if you want "bleeding edge" for drivers or app's, you'll have to go get and manage a lot of those things yourself.

Now the reason I go into all this effort is the point you make about installing Slackware on 30 network PC's. Are you f$cking mad? If you don't know much about Slackware, the last, LAST thing you want to do is put it out there on that many devices for others to use. If you want/need an open source OS for 30+ PC's, go with one of the three above. Slackware is not for the feint of heart, and for wide-spread deployments it requires someone with a lot of skill, insight, talent for scripting/sysadmin, and patience. It's not the tool you need for this job.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

One plug i have to add is for Gentoo -- it is like slackware on steroids, and it is cutting/bleeding edge. You still compile everything, the install is in a step by step, hold your hand handbook AND the compiilation will resolve dependencies (so your programs can still be custom compiled -- none of that pre-compiled bloated garbage
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

Oh **** me:

Fedora is **** and broken out of the box.

SUSE has no draw backs.

Slackware is great

**** Gentoo, he's new to Linux, if Slackware is on the edge for him do you think he has something going on where he wants 3 security updates a day?

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by gore
    Oh **** me:

Fedora is **** and broken out of the box.

SUSE has no draw backs.

Slackware is great

**** Gentoo, he's new to Linux, if Slackware is on the edge for him do you think he has something going on where he wants 3 security updates a day?
    C'mon man, don't hold back...give us your honest opinion.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Heh, you know me. I don't hold back. A newbie to Linux should NOT be told to go for Gentoo.

**** Gentoo, he's new to Linux, if Slackware is on the edge for him do you think he has something going on where he wants 3 security updates a day? [/B]
    but that is why hardened gentoo exists -- and it is not gentoo that has the problems, but the software -- if you install the newest software of anything on any version of linux -- even your precious slackware -- you are going to have security holes, but that is why the stable and hardened version exists. Furthermore, if you are complaining that gentoo has no security compared to Slackware, Slackware has no security compared to OpenBSD -- we might as well point jin29_neci OpenBSD and no matter what we should be prepared to provide free tech support until they are up to speed unless they are pointed to a version like Ubuntu or SUSE.

Furthermore in response to
    A newbie to Linux should NOT be told to go for Gentoo.
    That is not necessarily true. A person will learn quicker if you throw them into the fire and then let them work their way out (helping when necessary) than if you hold their hand the entire way spoon feeding them like SUSE does. By using nothing but YAST and KDE/Gnome a person might as well use windows because they are not really going to learn anything since there are shortcuts and wizards that already does everything.
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

Originally posted here by djscribble
    [B]but that is why hardened gentoo exists -- and it is not gentoo that has the problems, but the software --
    No, it's Gentoo's port of it. Gentoo and Debian have 3 a day, Slackware and SUSE maybe once a month. And SUSE doesn't use the same Kernel Gentoo does as they have a more lcoked down version of it, and do security audits the same as Open BSD.

if you install the newest software of anything on any version of linux -- even your precious slackware -- you are going to have security holes, but that is why the stable and hardened version exists.
    No, Stable is something that was taken from BSD. Stable, Release and Beta. SUSE uses none. Slackware has stable and current. Current is what the next version is going to become. As for hardened versions SUSE uses rxstack Kernels by default and has since 8.2.

Furthermore, if you are complaining that gentoo has no security compared to Slackware, Slackware has no security compared to OpenBSD --
    That's a load of **** and you should know it. Any OS can take NetBSD, close it off by default so that's it's barely useable, and slap the secure sticker on it. Don't tell me you believe that bullshit from that dick face theo.

we might as well point jin29_neci OpenBSD and no matter what we should be prepared to provide free tech support until they are up to speed unless they are pointed to a version like Ubuntu or SUSE.

You have no idea what a user thinks do you?

Furthermore in response to That is not necessarily true. A person will learn quicker if you throw them into the fire and then let them work their way out (helping when necessary)

No, that's a faster way to make them give up and stick with Windows. You can't use that **** about "You['ll learn more this way" and expect them to want to use it. They don't CARE how it works. Linux was enver big until RedHat and SUSE made it easy.

than if you hold their hand the entire way spoon feeding them like SUSE does. By using nothing but YAST and KDE/Gnome a person might as well use windows because they are not really going to learn anything since there are shortcuts and wizards that already does everything.
    Yea it's not like Gentoo comes with gnome or KDE. *Sigh* do you honestly think someone new to Linux is going to keep using it if they have to sit up all night at a bash prompt instead of doing their jobs? Pull yourself out of your shoes and pull your head out of your ass and realise not everyone gives a **** how their computer works.

Thank you for pointing out the error of some of my thinking, and i did not mean for my replies to be attacks against you either nor did i mean for you to almost seem to take it personally. however i do have some follow-up questions...

Originally posted here by gore
    No, it's Gentoo's port of it. Gentoo and Debian have 3 a day, Slackware and SUSE maybe once a month. And SUSE doesn't use the same Kernel Gentoo does as they have a more lcoked down version of it, and do security audits the same as Open BSD.
    Then why do they make their own port of something? wouldn't it make sense to compile the original from source if it is more secure rather than do something weird in the porting?

Don't tell me you believe that bullshit from that dick face theo.
    I don't believe anything people tell me unless i can verify it elsewhere or test it to be true myself...

You have no idea what a user thinks do you?
    I don't understand what you mean when you ask this

They don't CARE how it works.
    then why would someone want to learn linux and not just purchase MAC's

Yea it's not like Gentoo comes with gnome or KDE.
    Sarcasm Noted, but it is not installed by default and iirc, it is the same way with slackware

not everyone gives a **** how their computer works.
    then what is the point of using linux in the first place, and second of all, then why not use windows or a mac.... furthermore, if someone is looking to impliment 30 or so pc's running slackware, wouldn't that be a hint that this person MAY actually care how they work (and if someone is even incharge of the implimentation decision in the first place, can they afford to not care how their stuff works)