Thread: Skype

Just read this article on News.com

http://news.com.com/Skype+embraces+v...l?tag=nefd.top

It makes me laugh .

Firstly it says skype has been downloaded over 132 million times and has on average 3 million simultaneuos users. really its shocking some of the bad reporting and promotional drivel that news.com reporters swollow .

and to say skype makes annual revenue is between $6-$10 billion is so far our.

Yep skype is a brand name by i don't really see that much revenue being generated anytime in the future.

"Skype"....................."HYPE" more like.

Sounds like an upmarket stock pumping scam to me

EDIT: this is a bit more realistic:

http://evans.blogware.com/blog/_arch...18/595021.html

Right i am not really buying it. And besides, who wants to see the one oyu are talking to. Thats the beauty of the phone you could be sitting in the bath or walking around naked in your house. Plus if your behind the pc why would you want to see the other. The only way its worth anything is for couples that live away from each other.
    [T]he future is now.

Now $100 million sounds better to me . Iv never understood why skype had always got the journalists all worked up in a sweat . It seems obvious to me that the 132 million downloads means little ( since people download programs several times or people download programs and decent its not for them etc) yet the journalists take the download size as something exciting . Whomever skypes gets to do its PR is really worth their money from day one . They should be paying their PR team 50% of their revenue

esi1

Let me try to explain. If you want to sell your private company to a public company, or go public on your own, you put out a load of bullcrap and unrealistic forecasts to pump up the value of your company/stock.

So long as the press will publish the bullcrap you are putting out and the public swallow it, you are OK. If a public company buys you out the public see that as a shrewd move and their stock goes up. If you go public you will have more people subscribing for stock so the price will be higher.

Jornalists generally know nothing other than about journalism, otherwise they would have a proper job? Bullcrap is their livelihood, and I know quite a few of them. You would be surprised what they get up to to fill up column inches or airtime.

As for the "132,000,000" downloads......................has that been subject to an independent audit? I doubt it, and even if it had, how do you know that it is not one of those "advertising click" scams?

My guess is that they are looking to sell out to another corporation.

Ask yourself this: "if there is that much money involved, how come Microsoft haven't shown any interest?"

Banned
    Firstly it says skype has been downloaded over 132 million times and has on average 3 million simultaneuos users. really its shocking some of the bad reporting and promotional drivel that news.com reporters swollow .
    If you open Skype, it'll tell you how many Skype users are online (right now, there's a little over 2.8 million). It's free, it works perfectly (with way better quality than a landline), is extremely convenient... why is that so hard to believe? I'd think there would be more than 132 million downloads, and more than 3 million users...
    As for the $6 billion annual revenue: who knows... it's analysts saying that, not Skype (nor news.com for that matter)