Thread: Nigeria jails woman in $242 million email fraud case

Nigeria jails woman in $242 million email fraud case

From yahoo.com:

LAGOS (Reuters) - A Nigerian court has sentenced a woman to two and half years in jail after she pleaded guilty to fraud charges in the country's biggest e-mail scam case, the anti-fraud agency said on Saturday.

Amaka Anajemba, one of three suspects in a $242 million fraud involving a Brazilian bank, would return $48.5 million to the bank, hand over $5 million to the government and pay a fine of 2 million naira ($15,000), the agency said.

Scams have become so successful in Nigeria that anti-sleaze campaigners say swindling is one of the country's main foreign exchange earners after oil, natural gas and cocoa.

Anajemba's sentencing by a Lagos High Court on Friday is the first major conviction since the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) was established in 2003 to crack down on Nigeria's thriving networks of email fraudsters.

The agency said in a statement that the judgment was "a landmark achievement by EFCC in the fight against advance fee fraud, corruption and other related crimes."

Typically fraudsters send out junk e-mails around the world promising recipients a share in a fortune in return for an advance fee. Those who pay never receive the promised windfall.

Anajemba, whose late husband masterminded the swindling of the Sao Paolo-based Banco Noroeste S.A. between 1995 and 1998, was charged along with Emmanuel Nwude and Nzeribe Okoli.

The prosecution said the three accused obtained the $242 million by promising a member of the bank staff a commission for funding a non-existent contract to build an airport in Nigeria's capital Abuja.

All three accused pleaded not guilty, but Anajemba later changed her mind to enter a guilty plea in order to receive a shorter sentence.

Her prison term was backdated to start in January 2004 when she was first taken in custody. The trial of the two others who maintained their not guilty pleas was adjourned to September.

Ranked the world's second most corrupt country after Bangladesh by sleaze watchdog Transparency International, Nigeria has given new powers to the EFCC which is prosecuting about 200 fraud and corruption cases.

The anti-fraud agency has arrested over 200 junk mail scam suspects since 2003. It says it has also confiscated property worth $200 million and secured 10 other convictions. ($1=132.70 Naira)
    Interesting article, I thought atleast. I found this last bit of information interesting the most:

The anti-fraud agency has arrested over 200 junk mail scam suspects since 2003. It says it has also confiscated property worth $200 million and secured 10 other convictions.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Hi Spyder32,

Her prison term was backdated to start in January 2004 when she was first taken in custody. The trial of the two others who maintained their not guilty pleas was adjourned to September.
    So...essentially she serves a year...turns over $55.5 million...pockets $186.5 million ( her share split three ways $62,166,666.66 )...which turns out to $181,278.53 for every day she has to spend in jail...

hummmmmmm...

I wonder if she's laughing right now? probably

And who says crime doesn't pay!

Eg

Dam that has to be one of the biggest amount of money collect by email fraud. Maybe even bij online fraud.
    I think she os laughing.
    [T]he future is now.

Banned
    Clearly you've never seen a Nigerian prison.

cheers,

catch

Clearly you've never seen a Nigerian prison.
    I'm sure its nothing that 60+ million wont make up for.
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week~Kthln01!

Clearly you've never seen a Nigerian prison
    Whilst that is a very good point, one also has to consider the Nigerian propensity for corruption. I guess it is a difficult one to call?

Hi catch,

As nihil said...she'll likely buy her way out or bribe for her comforts while inside...$62 million dollars buys alot of leniency.

Eg

You must spread your AntiPoints around before giving it to nihil again.

Banned
    Unless you have power like Escobar your assets will be frozen and seized by corrupt officials or her ex-partners.
    She'll prolly be raped daily in prison (not unlike the US penal system) and with an AIDS prevalence among the top 20 in the world... don't think she got off light.

On the other hand... she merely ripped off a lot of greedy christians... so maybe a slap on the wrist is more appropriate... but then to have millions of dollars and continuing to live in Nigeria... yeah she is stupid, kill her.

cheers,

catch

Well, I would agree about the staying in Nigeria bit, but I wonder about the bulk of the money actually being there?..............there is far too much for it to go unnoticed, and it is damn difficult to get money out of the country, particularly in foreign exchange.

I suspect they couldn't find anywhere safe that would grant them residence, and not deport them when they were found out?

she merely ripped off a lot of greedy christians
    Oh, well that's different.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.