WinXP ICS Wireless to LAN thru WRT54G

Thread: WinXP ICS Wireless to LAN thru WRT54G

WinXP ICS Wireless to LAN thru WRT54G

Can I do this? I can't figure it out and can't find any related posts in archives...

I have:
    2- Windows XP Pro PCs (1 laptop 1 desktop)
    1- Linksys WRT54G Wireless/Wired Router

I want to:
    Use built in 56k modem on laptop and USB wirelessB box to share internet with Desktop through the WRT54G... is this possible or not?

For some reason I can't get any basic connectivity (ping) through the router

PPPPPLLLLLEEEEAAAASSSEEEE!

I can wire the network but I'd rather not.

It depends on how you want your setup to work,

One simple way is that you need wireless access point card on your laptop, 56k modem wont do, that need wire, now router is to be configured on desktop and you also need to enable internet sharing on desktop so that laptop can access it for internet.

One other way(my friend use this)
    Install wireless access point on both machines and then route your traffice through router you have , which will be directly connected to your internet access wire.

you may find these articles useful in configuring a good secure setup :

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/w...uildwlan_4.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u..._03july28.mspx
    It\'s all about sense of power.

I can't seem to get any connection for file sharing or ping or anything from the laptop to the desktop...

I can't seem to get any connection for file sharing or ping or anything from the laptop to the desktop...
    are the firewalls on
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

No... I double checked that... If I go in to the advanced properties of the firewall applet you can exclude any connection with a check-box.
    Analog = Classical
    Digital = Techno

ok, I just reread your post. you are trying to share a dial-up connection between two computers over a wireless signal... I have never done this successfully, and even if you could Im sure the connection speed would be horrible.

as far as sharing between the two computer. have you made sure the wireless cards are installed properly? check device manager for any errors. are you using any encryption? how far from the wireless router are you? what type of enviroment? can you connect to the router via a wire and see fi everything is ok? are you sure the router is functioning? do you have sharing turned on? also who are you trying to ping? can you ping the router itself? there are A LOT of things that could be going wrong.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Yes... it's slow but it's all I have at the moment. lol.

The one wireless device says it connects to the wireless router, yet I can't pull up the administration page to even view any settings? I can pull up the admin page from the PC that's wired to it though. I was sharing the dialup before when both PCs were on wired connections... but now that I try to get one on wireless and the other on wired... kablooey. It seems to me the router is blocking the signal from the wireless adapter. I right now have no security enabled on it because of trying to troubleshoot it.
    Analog = Classical
    Digital = Techno

It's complicated. It won't automatically configure itself like some things. LOL
    You have to enable ISC on the laptop. Does the laptop have a proper ethernet
    port to connect to the router's internet port? You mentioned usb. I don't know
    about taking output from usb and converting to ether for a router input.

The desktop PC that recieves connectivity from the router would be the one
    that you would have to use to configure the router. Keep it simple and do a wired
    connection if possible to reduce complexity while troubleshooting.

My guess is that the problem is in the ICS configuration on the laptop, or the
    connection from it to the router (if you're trying to take usb output and feed
    it to the ethernet input of the router)
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

noooo the laptop is wireless, the desktop is 100bT, the laptop has the dialup, the desktop has none... i guess right now my main concern is getting local traffic between the LAN wifi and the LAN 100bT... niether can fileshare or printshare or anything!
    Analog = Classical
    Digital = Techno

Hey thanks to everybody who helped. I went over the basics again and noticed I forgot to undo another program that I was playing with a long time ago to change a MAC on my wireless adapter. hehe. Now everything works great, I have MAC filtering going, and 64bit WEP. Thanks everybody!!

MaT
    Analog = Classical
    Digital = Techno