Now, I've just read this and as you can see, rather skimpy on details. Based on this I have to question why they shot him like that (why not just arrest him since they already had him!?). Anyone have more details?

Source: The Toronto Star

LONDON (AP) — Police shot a man at a London subway station today a day after the city was hit by a second wave of terror attacks in two weeks. One witness said the man was killed. The circumstances of the shooting at Stockwell station in south London were not immediately clear, nor was the man's condition.

British Transport Police said the Northern and Victoria Tube lines, which pass through Stockwell, were suspended because of shooting.

Passengers said that a man — described as South Asian — ran onto a train. They said police chased him, he tripped, then they shot him.

"They pushed him onto the floor and unloaded five shots into him. He's dead," witness Mark Whitby told the British Broadcasting Corp. "He looked like a cornered fox. He looked pertrified," said Whitby.

Whitby said it didn't look like the man was carrying anything but said he was wearing a thick coat that looked padded.

"We were on the Tube and then we suddenly heard someone say `get out, get out' and then we heard gunshots," said passenger Briony Coetsee.

Alistair Drummond, of the London Ambulance Service, said paramedics had been called to the station at 10:10 a.m.

"There were at least 20 of them (officers) and they were carrying big black guns," said Chris Wells, 28. "The next thing I saw was this guy jump over the barriers and the police officers were chasing after him and everyone was just shouting `get out, get out!"'