Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Man gunned down on Underground (London)

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Man gunned down on Underground (London)

Now, I've just read this and as you can see, rather skimpy on details. Based on this I have to question why they shot him like that (why not just arrest him since they already had him!?). Anyone have more details?

Source: The Toronto Star

LONDON (AP) — Police shot a man at a London subway station today a day after the city was hit by a second wave of terror attacks in two weeks. One witness said the man was killed. The circumstances of the shooting at Stockwell station in south London were not immediately clear, nor was the man's condition.

British Transport Police said the Northern and Victoria Tube lines, which pass through Stockwell, were suspended because of shooting.

Passengers said that a man — described as South Asian — ran onto a train. They said police chased him, he tripped, then they shot him.

"They pushed him onto the floor and unloaded five shots into him. He's dead," witness Mark Whitby told the British Broadcasting Corp. "He looked like a cornered fox. He looked pertrified," said Whitby.

Whitby said it didn't look like the man was carrying anything but said he was wearing a thick coat that looked padded.

"We were on the Tube and then we suddenly heard someone say `get out, get out' and then we heard gunshots," said passenger Briony Coetsee.

Alistair Drummond, of the London Ambulance Service, said paramedics had been called to the station at 10:10 a.m.

"There were at least 20 of them (officers) and they were carrying big black guns," said Chris Wells, 28. "The next thing I saw was this guy jump over the barriers and the police officers were chasing after him and everyone was just shouting `get out, get out!"'
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hi MsM,

I've been kinda watching CNN for the last three hours and there is still no details beyond that he was shot and killed as a suspect.

They must have had information...maybe a ' source ' ...because they were well armed and prepared...like they were hunting this guy and found him.

If he turns out to be one of the bombers...they probably should have tried to take him alive to get information on the others...and then killed him.

Eg

Regal Making Handler
    Based on this I have to question why they shot him like that (why not just arrest him since they already had him!?). Anyone have more details?
    MsM, as barbarac as it may seem the only effective way to deal with a suicide bomber, is to kill them before they have time to detonate their bomb. You have to aim for the head, this is against normal policy, as the largest body mass, ie the torso, is what is normaly aimed for. It is also good practice to shoot multiple rounds into the target to ensure they are incapable of activating any device. The police have gone public recently, with the fact they are prepared to "shoot to kill"

From what I have heard, this person was picked up on CCTV, when challenged by the police he ran, jumping a barrier and that in its self , given the current climate, is justification as far as i'm conserned.

Also from what the news is saying, the bomb detonaters did not activate the main charge. Fortunate indeed,
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Hi,

You don't take suicide bombers or suspected suicide bombers prisoner...........you take them out , and fast! doing enything else would only further endanger the general public.

The guy was challenged, he ignored it, they exterminated him.

If you don't think it is the right thing to do, just ask the Israelis?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    There hasn't been any indication that there was a bomb. Heck, if he had one, why jump on him and risk a potential explosion? At this point, from what I've read he jumped the barrier to catch the train.

I asked for more details since it's rather skimpy and what worries me is that an innocent may get caught in the fervor to find a terrorist -- which justifies and solidifies a terrorist point of view and wanton destruction.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Banned
    Maybe he didn't have a ticket - that could explain why he ran

I wonder what the purpose of the padded coat was... if he was a "suicide" bomber?
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week~Kthln01!

You have to aim for the head, this is against normal policy, as the largest body mass, i.e. the torso, is what is normally aimed for. It is also good practice to shoot multiple rounds into the target to ensure they are incapable of activating any device.
    I've had an interesting career. From my time in the U.S. Army and working for the DoD as a civilian (electronic Security) I've learned a few things.

First. A bullet behind the ear turns the body off like a switch. Nice if you're a sniper and the target is not holding a closed switch. (which, when opened or dropped, ignites an explosive device)

Second. I'm afraid that the times we live in we will see more and more of these types of shootings. Snipers on rooftops with (when in doubt shoot) instructions to kill instead of stop.

I would venture to say that the individuals identity will not be released and the whole incident will be classified under some sort of on going investigation / national security blanket.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Hmm,

worries me is that an innocent may get caught in the fervor to find a terrorist
    This may sound harsh, but I really don't give a damn. I do care about 56 dead and 700 maimed and injured though.

He was challenged by armed police and ran, that is good enough for me and most others in this country. The police didn't kill him: "he died of an overdose of stupidity"

I have noticed that do-gooders and bleeding heart liberals are keeping their mouths firmly shut since the bombings. The media don't want to know them because they could seriously lose sales and ratings. And if they mouth off in public places they will probably get a damn good beating for it.

I am sure that we have had considerable consultations with the Israelis over this .

The police had good reason to ' suspect ' this person...a ' padded ' jacket on a summers day would be a dead giveaway here or in the US ...and he ran from ' armed ' police in...
    a London subway station
    if he wasn't a bomber...he should have been shot for sheer stupidity.