Thread: problem w/ TOR

Banned

problem w/ TOR

I'm using TOR w/ Firefox but it always turns pages into a different language...

sometime it's japanese or protugese...

i guess it has to do w/ some of the nodes in the network

how can i fix it

(it only brings up foreign pages if they exist... japanese google/ portugal altavista.. it doesn't translate pages)

3.10. Why does Google show up in foreign languages?

Google uses "geolocation" to determine where in the world you are, so it can give you a personalized experience. This includes using the language it thinks you prefer, and it also includes giving you different results on your queries.

If you really want to see Google in English you can click the link that provides that. But we consider this a feature with Tor, not a bug --- the Internet is not flat, and it in fact does look different depending on where you are. This feature reminds people of this fact. [#]

Source

There are ways to specify which end nodes Tor uses. These end nodes determine which language you see your search engines. Look through the docs. I guess you could specify only those in english speaking countries, or just find a link to the english version of the page.

Banned
    the problem isn't just google but many other pages ... ah, what can you do.... nothing's perfect

But the only pages it matters on are those that have an english version, right ? If they don't, then, well, you can't read them tor or no tor. If so, find the link to the english version.

Or perhaps I have misunderstood your problem. Is it that your search results are in a different language ? Then just use advaned search and specify the language you want.

If either of these seem like too much bother, I would have a look at specifying end nodes. There seem to be a pretty good number in the english speaking countries.

Banned
    the problme is that when i search or go to bbc (basicaly pages that have local versions) depending on (i guess) the last node it gives me local version...

are search results affected ... don't know but it's still anoying as hell...

anyway... where i use it tor traffic will probably raise more susppicion than do me any good ...

i was just testing

Banned
    i didn't want to make another thread for this ...

is there a way to stop other ppl from using your computer as a node in the tor network... to lighten the load in your network.

The only way your computer becomes a node is if you download and set up the server software. I think there are around one hundred nodes around the world right now.

If you are a server and want to control the traffic you see, read 4.12 and 4.13 here