Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZoneAlarm vs. Sygate

ZoneAlarm vs. Sygate

ZoneAlarm vs. Sygate

This will be more likely a personal opinion. But it’s worth mentioning since it’s a personal experience. Well, let’s get started. On the ratings here in AO, ZoneAlarm appears to be ahead, but some of the AO guys tested and used Sygate SPF. I’ve been testing it too, but some issues bother me. Check it out.

My BoX
    SoftWare
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional
    SP2
    Internet Connection Firewall (SP2 built-in) is ON.

HardWare
    Intel Pentium III
    868 Mhz
    256 MB of RAM

ZoneAlarm [Z] vs. Sygate [S]

Description
    1. ZoneAlarm
    version:5.5.062.011
    TrueVector version:5.5.062.011
    Driver version:5.5.062.011

2. Sygate Personal Firewall
    Version 5.6
    Build 2808

INSTALLATION
    1. Z – smooth
    2. S – one small error warning, but it continues to install. Product: Sygate Personal Firewall – Error 1406. Could not write value to key \Software. System error . Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel. – I thought this error is because I am using an alternative user with Admin rights, however, for the benefit of the doubt, I uninstall and reinstall under ADMINISTRATOR user, and still the same error message pops up. See attached.

STARTUP
    1. Z – smooth
    2. S – error message. After installing Sygate and everytime it restarts, this message is being logged – Faulting application Smc.exe, version 5.6.0.2808, faulting module trident.dll, version 5.5.0.0, fault address 0x0007394a. See attached.

CONFIGURATION, INTERFACE & PERFORMANCE
    1. Z – Working worthwhile with ZoneAlarm, I find it easy to configure. Adding that the interface helps well in navigating the menus and options.
    2. S - I don’t get it, with this cool piece of tool, why it is very slow in my box? Overall performance of my PC is very slow when: 1) Configuring SPF 2) ONLINE.

Is it something with my PC not complying with the requirement of Sygate?

BTW, SPF doesn’t even have an Uninstall icon readily available, LoLz

Need some input on this like some of the advantages of SPF over ZoneAlarm.

Thanks a lot.

Yo!
    \"Life without FREEDOM is no life at all\". - William Wallace
    MyhomE MyboX StealtH (loop n. see loop.)
    http://www.geocities.com/sebeneleben/SOTBMulti.gif

Internet Connection Firewall (SP2 built-in) is ON.
    Having two firewalls running at the same time (XP firewall and Sygate), could possibly give you errors.
    Running two of any program could also give different errors. Like running two anti-virus at the same time could possibly conflict.
    Computers do not have problems, they have users.
    ~Cope57

I've been using Sygate for about a year and a half now, and I am quite satisfied w/ it's performance. I've installed it on several client's boxes, every OS from 98 to XP (Be sure to disable or otherwise "make compatible" w/ XP's windows firewall). I've never gotten an error messages on the install or otherwise - however, on 98 boxes it does have an annoying little bug that causes it to be listed as "(not responding)" when you pull up the task manager (still functions as it should, though). I'd recommend Sygate to anyone using a home box, combined w/ an antivirus and appropriate malware-removal software, of course (I like AVG for an AV and AdAware, Spybot, HJT, etc for malware). Sygate is super-easy to configure, too - I can walk a know-nothing user through the configuration in about a minute - double-click the tray icon, right-click the proggies listed, and select "Allow", "Ask" or "Block" - simple as that... Nice logger, too...

ZoneAlarm on the other hand... meh... I installed it a while back, and as I recall, I had several problems w/ it under 98 - likely errors on my part (may have had conflicting processes running, etc), combined w/ the shaky-stability of 98... got a couple of blue-screens... I switched back to Sygate within 30 minutes, and have used it every since...

To each his own - I'm sure there's plenty here to vouch for ZA - but me, I'm a Sygate man.

-Wiski
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

Personally, I hate ZoneAlarm. The problem I was having, along with everyone else I know, is that when you disable ZoneAlarm's Firewall capablities, it still continues to block services. Even after you shut the program down and kill it in the taskmgr, it still continues to block services. For the longest time I didnt understand why Internet Explorer wasn't logging on to certain Java-relate sites. It was all because of ZoneAlarm. I finally uninstalled it, and mulitple problems Ive been having ceased.

Go Iptables!
    The command completed successfully.

\"They drew first blood not me.\"

Thanks for the feedback

Having two firewalls running at the same time (XP firewall and Sygate)
    Hi Cope57,

I had been aware of having more two (2) or more application installed for the same purpose give some uncertain errors in a box but in some instance it is working well.

I had updated my Win XP Pro Box with SP2 a week ago after reviewing it for quite sometime (MORE ON HARDWARE ISSUES) coz few of my devices (like the sound card and modem) are quite old and I had to make sure.

Since then, ZoneAlarm had never conflicted with Windows ICF in this case. I did not find any problem with it.

It’s like “TWO (COMPATIBLE) WALLS’ BETTER THAN ONE”.

---

wiskic10_4,

You had a good experience with Sygate, and I am just wondering if you have any further tip on this - "make compatible" w/ XP's windows firewall.

Also, I am now using AVG for my antivirus and a bunch of ADWARE/SPYWARE remover (Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, Spy Sweeper and XoftSpy) and HijackThis for hijackers.

In the case of Sygate, I had installed it to give it a try but seem to have conflicts with my Box. I should review more of it and have a feedback soon.

Just like you said, everybody has his/her favorites!

---

br_fusion

Never crossed that situation, I wonder if you had tried to configure it in the ZoneAlarm Control Center?

---

Thanks for the feedbacks.

BTW, before, I used Norton AV, it’s presence and status (updated or not) can be monitored by ZoneAlarm, but AVG cannot be detected.

Yo!

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    I used both firewalls for 2000 & XP. Zonealarm is nice software, and very user friendly and very configureable aswell. Sygate is more for advanced users IMO. I personally choose Sygate over ZA. Also, when you do deside to setup your firewall, make sure its configured properly I say that I mean keep a log file, don't set your firewall to allow everything through because its more "convient" just defeats the purpose of having one.

Hi. The error you are getting....

http://support.installshield.com/kb/...icleid=Q107090

You have been playing around with the rights & privaledges of your windows accounts, haven't you?

I use Sygate exclusevily. I know of some admins who hate it and claim it keeps crashing their boxes. I haven't had any of those problems. But I will admit that wierd stuff starts to happen when you turn on some of the fancy features. (e.g. anti-MAC & anti-IP....) If you are going to use them - make sure you RTFM - know what they do and know wheather you need to do some advanced configuration. Sygate have a very helpful support forum on their site that can answer just about any question you have about their product.

Re: ZoneAlarm vs. Sygate

Originally posted here by scratchONtheBOX
    ZoneAlarm vs. Sygate
    BTW, SPF doesn’t even have an Uninstall icon readily available, LoLz
    Have to go to Control Panel-Add/Remove Programs

I like Sygate way more than ZoneAlarm and Norton Internet Security for that matter.
    I have installed all three for a bunch of different customers.
    NIS sometimes pop up stupid questions when it detects something that it wants you to decide what to do with. And confuses most customers more than help them. Has too many screens, and actually makes it harder to go back in to reconfigure rules afterwards...

Customers using ZA have had compatibility issues with other software not working correctly, so I ended up having to remove ZA after some long troublshooting...
    ZA might be easy to intsall and to get the initial config setup, but again, I have customers getting confused if they want to go back in and change something they didn't want configured.

Sygate, while some people think it's meant for the advanced user, I think it's meant for both the novice user and the advanced user. Every thing is laid out in just a few screens, and it's very easy to use, easy to get back in and change rules, but still gives the advanced user full control over everything you would need to configure.
    Also like the real time monitor the best with Sygate.

Your installation problem with Sygate is very unfortunate. Never had any problems installing it. But what ever the problem is, is probably why you are experiencing the slowness and all other strange things happening with it.
    I would still recommend trying to figure out how to fix the installation problem with Sygate.

By the way, you don't get similar strange errors with any other software? I've seen similar problems with computers with bad memory. Maybe should run a memory tester?

Hope you will get it resolved!

Smile Well, that explains some

Hi. The error you are getting....
    http://support.installshield.com/kb...ticleid=Q107090
    - Well, that explains some. Thanks for the link.

You have been playing around with the rights & privaledges of your windows accounts, haven't you?
    - No, I haven’t.

Have to go to Control Panel-Add/Remove Programs
    - Most of the TOOLS I used (AVG, ZoneAlarm, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, Spy Sweeper and XoftSpy) had a READY UNINSTALL ICON. Just a thought though.

Customers using ZA have had compatibility issues with other software not working correctly, so I ended up having to remove ZA after some long troublshooting...
    ZA might be easy to intsall and to get the initial config setup, but again, I have customers getting confused if they want to go back in and change something they didn't want configured.
    - I had also installed ZA to a couple of customers and some friends of mine but I never had heard any complaint. Although I had some time spent explaining with some greenhorn customers who were really concern about the popup question MOST firewall are asking before you allow/reject such connection. It all falls to user orientation I guess.

By the way, you don't get similar strange errors with any other software?
    No. AFAIK, not yet. It’s just maybe an isolated case.

Thanks!

Yo!

I have been using sygate personal firewall for a few years now and it run fine except sometime some files will get corrupted and have to use scandisk to fix the problem or reinstall the program. The interface is simple (my opinion) compared to ZA where you have to click here and there to access the correct function. So I can quickly configure Sygate. On the other note, I see almost all malware that will disable security application will surely disable ZA since it is so popular....