Thread: Smtp server

Smtp server

Can i have a link for creating smtp servers please. or directions

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    It helps us if you add a paragraph or three, explaining why you wish to do this .......

And Google gives us this

just by entering 'creating SMPT servers'
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

I have found the answer using the magic of google:
    www.postcast.com
    Download the free edition of the server, this allows people to create their own SMPT server.

will there be a dedicated machine you will be using for this? what OS will you be using or are most familiar with? and finally is this just a test project sort of thing where you just wanna play, or will this have a serious/business use?
    I\'m Dying To Find Out The Hard Way

I want to use windows, but if that is not possible, linux is fine.
    This is just a test project.

If you are running XP Professional then you can install the SMTP server by going to Control Panel > Add/Remove Prgrams > Add/Remove Windows Components > Internet Information Services (IIS) > SMTP Service just tick the SMTP Service box and follow through the usual next.... OK.... yes I am sure... insert disk.... you know, the usual... it can then be configured from Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Internet Information Services, this is fairly smple to configure and within 5minutes you should have a fully functional SMTP server...... good luck, any problems let me know, I am here to help

James
    I\'m Dying To Find Out The Hard Way

c0br4 the same is true on 2kpro
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Unforunatly my os is Windows home, there fore it does not have IIS
    But, i am trying to configure the software i mentioned above Post Cast Server, and i think it is working but i am currently in the proccess of getting sbc to unblock port 25.

Originally posted here by c0br4
    If you are running XP Professional then you can install the SMTP server by going to Control Panel > Add/Remove Prgrams > Add/Remove Windows Components > Internet Information Services (IIS) > SMTP Service just tick the SMTP Service box and follow through the usual next.... OK.... yes I am sure... insert disk.... you know, the usual... it can then be configured from Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Internet Information Services, this is fairly smple to configure and within 5minutes you should have a fully functional SMTP server...... good luck, any problems let me know, I am here to help

James
    The IIS SMTP server is not a full feature mail program as it does not give you a way to retrieve the mail. It does everything required for SMTP, but you can't associate any mailboxes with it. It can send, and accept mail, but only to relay it.

"IIS in Windows Server 2003 includes a full-featured SMTP virtual server that you can use to route mail on your internal network. The SMTP virtual server can also accept mail from the Internet. Although the SMTP Service does not include an easily accessible mechanism in which to retrieve mail, it can play a vital role in accepting mail from the Internet and relaying it to your SMTP/POP3 server. You can configure the SMTP virtual server to accept mail for the domain to which the computer belongs, and for other domains."

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;324272

I'd rather use a unix machine as a relay as sendmail and the other unix SMTP mail servers give you better control over what the SMTP server is doing. The IIS SMTP server is extremely limited.