Thread: New Router = Less Secure?

Question New Router = Less Secure?

I just picked up a new Netgear Router. I love them for their stability etc. I had an 802.11b wifi router previously...cant even remember the version. I just picked up a 802.11g (WRG614) today. It is flashed to the most current firmware. I ran a scan previously with the 11b router and on GRC.com, all ports showed up as stealthed. I ran the same scan from GRC and now port 0 (weird) shows as "closed" and port 443 (which is forwarded to a desktop machine on purpose) is "open". Neither ports were shown with the 11b router, they were both "stealthed". The only thing I can think of is GRC changed the way they scan machines, the new router sucks, or my ISP (which didn't change, just a new location) is screwy. Any thoughts? I know port 0 doesnt exist and is used for programmers etc....but still...I don't like it being shown. I cant forward it to a non existant address either (since NetGear wont allow port 0 to be routed). SPI and NAT are both on. XP machines (SP2 fw off)
    Sex is like \"Social Security\". You get a little each month, but it\'s not enough to live on.

did the wireless b router happen to have afirewall built in? becasue that is the only thing that would make a difference that is obvious?
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

They both have the SPI/NAT firewall...nothing else really different other than one being 11b and one 11g...in fact the setup looks nearly identical
    Sex is like \"Social Security\". You get a little each month, but it\'s not enough to live on.

Banned
    Stealthed is less secure than closed.

For a port to be stealthed the packets sent to that port are processed by a firewall which may be vulnerable to an number of synchronization or bonds exception issues.

Closed ports are typically handled by a lower process, consequently of greater assurance and less likely to e vulnerable to such attacks. Additionally a closed port does not reveal information about your filtering system like a stealthed port can.

cheers,

catch

PS. The whole idea of "stealthed" ports is just more Steve Gibson BS, prolly written in big, brightly colored text to add credability.

Ahhh, thanks catch....brilliant...yea, I thought about how much Steve's BS may come into play as well...Ill leave it to Netgear to be my shield.

Regal Making Handler
    Just a quick point, I have a netgear router, not the same model as yours but it allows me to back up the configueration. If your router is the same be carefull where you back it up to. The config file contains DNS, login, password details etc.. In plain text, not something you want lying around un protected.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry