Thread: Cell phone question

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

Cell phone question

Ok, i have a Nokia 6016i ( not the best cell phone) anyway it cant get internet access for ring tones and such so i bought a USB cable for it ( you hook it up to your pc and it downloads stuff to your phone) well anyway i installed Nokia PC Suite just like they said but once i hook the cable to the phone and the pc nothing happens, the little usb icon puts up and says something to the effect that its having trouble recognizing my serial to usb something, i have a dell p4 made in 2001 with 384 megs of ram running a fully patch XP pro. my guess is my usb is to old to support this kind of cable transfer? which will make me mad because i bought that cable off Ebay and waited for it to get here from HongKong! any ideas? thanx.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Have you tried the cable in a different USB port?

unplug your phone If it is connected...
    You will need the CD Rom in the drive for the next step .. DONT START ANY OF THE INSTALLATIONS.. Just leave it there
    restart the pc..
    after completly to the desktop .. Connect the cable to the phone..
    now connect to the PC.. and wait for the hardware wizard.. and follow the prompts.. be sure that the wizard looks to the CD..
    if any problems now PLEASE BE SPECIFIC WITH THE BLOODY ERRORS.. not "sort of " or "something to the effect"..

I trust the cable you ordered was the "CA-42: Connectivity Adapter Cable" or equilivent not the older DKU-5 .. seem the DKU 5 dont work with your phone..

as for usb problems.. usb1.1 or 2 dosent realy matter on your old clunker.. it dose on some of the pre y2k hardware.. some crash with the connection of USB2 devices.. the device will transfer..but will be slooower..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

sorry I dont know the full error, and yes its a CA-42 cable. For some reason im having a problem with the CD that came with it, when i put it in the drive it doesnt recognize it, it will be in the CD drive but when i click it to install it, it says there is nothing in the drive even though there clearly is! so, I went to Nokia's website and downloaded all the nessisary stuff from there. but its still not working. I will change USB ports and let you know what happens.

edit: Since the CD that came with the cable isnt working i went to the Nokia website to download the drivers and such for the CA-42 cable i click on the download button that says: Here you can find the latest version of the Nokia Connectivity Cable CA-42 driver. but, it directs me to:Here you can find the latest version of the Nokia Connectivity Cable DKU-2 driver. isnt that the wrong driver? why is it linking me to an older driver when i click download on the CA-42 section?

Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

well i just solved my cell phone problem, i bought a new better one off Ebay lol but, feel free to respond to my previous question thanx
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted